Critique my vector art (please?)

Started by
11 comments, last by Trinavarta 16 years, 8 months ago
I currently use Inkscape for the vast majority of my art, and I'm a fan of cartoon styles; they go well with my style of game ideas. To gain some practice I've been creating Inkscape header images for my GDNet journal every week, involving drawing a character from a game and substituting some cringe worthy word substitution based on my GDnet nickname. I've just completed the fourth of this series, and I'd like some feedback on what I need to improve. Here's the four game images I've done so far, in order of completion: These are all vector art pieces completed in Inkscape. Since this is being done as a learning exercise, I'm happy for all constructive criticism so I can work on improvements in style with next week's header image. Thanks for viewing and for in advance all help provided!
Advertisement
Pretty. [smile] I can't see too much to critique... I'm not that familiar with the Zelda series, but is that slick look appropriate to them or should there be more blurry gradients like a nimbus around the fairy and sparklies from the triforce? Other than that, I think for all the people their skin could use either highlights or pink blush spots or something.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

It stinks!

[lol]I kid, I kid. Comming from my complete lack of an artistic background, I think they look pretty damn good.
Quote:Original post by sunandshadow
Pretty. [smile] I can't see too much to critique... I'm not that familiar with the Zelda series, but is that slick look appropriate to them or should there be more blurry gradients like a nimbus around the fairy and sparklies from the triforce? Other than that, I think for all the people their skin could use either highlights or pink blush spots or something.

That particular look isn't truly correct for Zelda: Ocarina of Time, but it's more my own cartoon style that I'm trying to develop. The characters themselves are meant to be cartoonified, whereas the logos are aiming to be more towards replicas of the originals.

It might be a bit confusing since the logos themselves usually feature gradients, but I'm trying to avoid using them for my character work so I'm not sure if blush spots would work. I'm aiming for the solid colour look; (in theory) it should be quicker to draw, plus it compresses like crazy.

However from my memory I think I did try a glow effect for the fairy, or possibly just a white outline, but it didn't seem to go well with the rest of the image. I'm experimenting with the types of outlines as I'm not that happy with the thick lines I'm currently using. My main problem is I can't ink on paper worth a damn, so I'm using vectors instead, but I don't have the experience with real tactile media to intuitively know what I need to emulate.
Overall looks pretty good. Nothing major stands out as a big problem. So that means... nitpicking time! [grin] Really these are just general tips more than critiques on these works.

Shading protip #1 - Pretty much everyone, when they first go to shade something, just grabs the base material colour and then "adds black" or "lowers brightness". Because shadows are black, right? Well, not really. Shadows are lights not hitting the object, which means the dominant ambient light in the scene is going to take over.
Example: Link is outside, the ambiance from the sky is blueish so any shadows should take a slightly blue tint.
Instead of using the eyedropper and lowering the brightness, try hand-picking darker tones instead.

Shading protip #2 - Keep in mind the properties of the material you are dealing with. Skin looks good with rimlighting because of the way light passes through it. Also a teensy bit of red in the skin shadows tends to make it feel more lifelike. Additionally, skin/hair/anything soft and translucent looks good with lighter shadows in general as it's letting light through.

Shading protip #3 - Be more consistent, foo. The shadows on Samus are pretty random, not showing up on certain parts of her, not following the same light source direction, and the highlights aren't really facing the same direction either. Link's skin isn't shaded at all, neither are his eyebrows even though the hair right next to them is, neither is his ocarina.

Vector protip - No excuse for round objects not being perfectly round. See: Samus' shoulder/elbow/gun connection. That round bit on the elbow should be wrapping around the cylinder. Unless the gun is supposed to rotate around it, in which case it should be spherical.

Obsessive Compulsive balance protip - In the first two pictures my eye travels from the left (human interest trumps all) up through the title to the top right (increased detail/contrast pulls focus) and then crashes down and gets stuck on the blank bottom right corners. Evening out the detail level just a tiny bit would help, like Navi usually leaves glowing trails and there could be a ship faded a little in the fzero background.

That one is super OCD grasping at straws nitpick though.

EDIT: Forgot, outlining protip!
Try this technique for getting your variable line widths right. Look beyond the edge and adjust the thickness of it based on how far away the object behind is. Pick 3-4 different widths based on different distances and stick to them religiously. Right now it seems like you've got just 2, which isn't really doing the effect justice.
Link's set up alright, actually, but captain falcon isn't working out. Then on Samus you're using it like some sort of foreshadowing, and on Cloud it's lighting? I suppose those can both work, but it's atypical so I would be careful. It's also causing the problem of your titles not matching the style of the image.
_______________________________________Pixelante Game Studios - Fowl Language
Quote:Original post by LockePick
Overall looks pretty good. Nothing major stands out as a big problem. So that means... nitpicking time! [grin] Really these are just general tips more than critiques on these works.

General tips are far more useful, thanks! I'm probably not going to go back and change these four; I'll try to correct whatever mistakes I've made in the next one.

Quote:Shading protip #1 - Pretty much everyone, when they first go to shade something, just grabs the base material colour and then "adds black" or "lowers brightness". Because shadows are black, right? Well, not really. Shadows are lights not hitting the object, which means the dominant ambient light in the scene is going to take over.

Yeah, I pretty much just took the CYMK, added extra K. Or just picked the next darkest colour from the palette. I'll try to keep this in mind; sometimes I do hand-pick the darker tone, but it's still pretty much the same hue and saturation.

Quote:Shading protip #2 - Keep in mind the properties of the material you are dealing with. Skin looks good with rimlighting because of the way light passes through it. Also a teensy bit of red in the skin shadows tends to make it feel more lifelike. Additionally, skin/hair/anything soft and translucent looks good with lighter shadows in general as it's letting light through.

Everything looks a bit like it's made of plastic, doesn't it? That's a good point. I've been trying to keep the number of colours I use down to a minimum for my characters because I like the whole minimalist look, but I'll pay attention to which colours look best.

Quote:Shading protip #3 - Be more consistent, foo. The shadows on Samus are pretty random, not showing up on certain parts of her, not following the same light source direction, and the highlights aren't really facing the same direction either. Link's skin isn't shaded at all, neither are his eyebrows even though the hair right next to them is, neither is his ocarina.

(This applies to all the shading tips:) My shading frankly has been pretty crap; up until this week I've mostly been using shading purely to show that something has a third dimension and only vaguely paying attention to light sources. It wasn't until this weeks Final Fantasy image that I tried visualising where the light source was with respect to Cloud and designing the shading to compensate.

Quote:Vector protip - No excuse for round objects not being perfectly round. See: Samus' shoulder/elbow/gun connection. That round bit on the elbow should be wrapping around the cylinder. Unless the gun is supposed to rotate around it, in which case it should be spherical.

That depiction of Samus is a little bit screwed up all round. I learnt a little bit too late that it's hard to draw an action pose for a chibi-dimensioned Samus; she's all helmet and shoulder pad and looks frankly quite ridiculous. I spent a little too long on making a snazzy Metroid Prime logo and not enough time actually working on the character

Quote:Obsessive Compulsive balance protip - In the first two pictures my eye travels from the left (human interest trumps all) up through the title to the top right (increased detail/contrast pulls focus) and then crashes down and gets stuck on the blank bottom right corners. Evening out the detail level just a tiny bit would help, like Navi usually leaves glowing trails and there could be a ship faded a little in the fzero background.

That one is super OCD grasping at straws nitpick though.

No, no, you're quite right; that's something I spotted myself and it really bugs me that it's bugging you [smile]. Both of those images need something in that corner, and I knew that at the time, but at the time I was too sick of adding in extra detail that I just wanted to finish the damn thing.

One of the biggest problems I know I need to work which doesn't show up in images is my speed of drawing. I suspect I'm spending too long worrying about fiddly little details that don't really matter that much and then ignoring the larger gaping problems. You can spend hours with vector art just playing around with individual nodes rather than just leaving something be, and no-one probably is going to notice, for example, those tiny little feet you've shaped into the glyphs of the "TRAPPERS" font on the logo, so you might as well just throw them in instead of agonising over it.

Thanks for the tips though; I'll keep them in mind for next weeks' image (I still need to select the game...)
I think they look awesome!

Keep up the good work.
Quote:Original post by LockePick
EDIT: Forgot, outlining protip!
Try this technique for getting your variable line widths right. Look beyond the edge and adjust the thickness of it based on how far away the object behind is. Pick 3-4 different widths based on different distances and stick to them religiously. Right now it seems like you've got just 2, which isn't really doing the effect justice.
Link's set up alright, actually, but captain falcon isn't working out. Then on Samus you're using it like some sort of foreshadowing, and on Cloud it's lighting? I suppose those can both work, but it's atypical so I would be careful. It's also causing the problem of your titles not matching the style of the image.

My current outlining technique is a really big Inkscape hack. For the first three images I've pretty much just a constant border around each shape that the figure is constructed out of, then made a second copy of the whole figure, coloured it black, and used the "dynamic offset" function make a version slightly bigger than the original before sending it to the back of the order. You can get a nice outlining effect doing that, but it's really basic and looks cheap.

For Samus, I think I've done borders for each separate segment, such as the close gun-arm, the main body and the arm in the distance; the border width indicates its depth from the screen.

Cloud is an experiment, and is indeed a mix of lighting and z-distance. It's essentially the same technique, except I've shifted the image over a little bit in line with the light direction. I'm not sure how good it looks; if you find it strange, then I'll try something different for the next one.

I hadn't realised that the distance of the object from the object behind it would be the metric to use, but it does make sense. I'll try and give it a go. I need to use a different method from the hack version I'm currently using regardless.
Quote:Original post by Trapper Zoid
I hadn't realised that the distance of the object from the object behind it would be the metric to use, but it does make sense. I'll try and give it a go. I need to use a different method from the hack version I'm currently using regardless.

The reason it works is because heavier lines make the image "pop" off the page (or screen, in this case). So the farther away the background is, the more you want to stick out from it.

You can see the effect really obviously in your zelda image: Link and Navi appear to be closer than the title, even though you can see the title covers Link's hand (and titles are usually the top layer by convention).
_______________________________________Pixelante Game Studios - Fowl Language
Looks quite alike something one might see at VG Cats.
Have you thought about your own videogame themed web-comic ?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement