sending self made exe's

Started by
10 comments, last by Zahlman 16 years, 8 months ago
windows is being a bastard and won't let any of my friends accapt an app, is there anything i can include that will let windows know that its not a virus?
--------------------------------------Not All Martyrs See Divinity, But At Least You Tried
Advertisement
Windows generally doesn't prevent copying of files. Can you be more specific about what you're trying to do? Are you trying to send the .exe over a chat client, a network, via CD?

Also, is it that your computer won't allow it to be copied, or that your friend's computer wont accept the file? Is his OS complaining, or his Virus software?
Jeromy Walsh
Sr. Tools & Engine Programmer | Software Engineer
Microsoft Windows Phone Team
Chronicles of Elyria (An In-development MMORPG)
GameDevelopedia.com - Blog & Tutorials
GDNet Mentoring: XNA Workshop | C# Workshop | C++ Workshop
"The question is not how far, the question is do you possess the constitution, the depth of faith, to go as far as is needed?" - Il Duche, Boondock Saints
Quote:Original post by godsenddeath
windows is being a bastard and won't let any of my friends accapt an app, is there anything i can include that will let windows know that its not a virus?

What exactly does it mean "won't let any of my friends accapt an app"? Does it crash? Does it display some error message? What?

My guess is that your friends don't have some required DLLs, but I can't be sure, because you didn't post any error messages.

No offense, but I think this might be useful reading for you.

Why not compress the file to a *.zip or *.rar? Or, you can change the extension of the *.exe if needed.
hotmail won't let an exe be sent, neither will MSN, and when i put it in a .zip file (of course i tried that right away) my friend's computer won't let her extact the .exe from the zip. its windows, not the virus software.

--------------------------------------Not All Martyrs See Divinity, But At Least You Tried
see i zipped all the files for a game, source, headers, dll's, and sent it, and windows let all of the files extract except the exe, i even tried sending the exe in a zip by itself
Rename the file to have .cpp extension?

But still, I don't know of any client-side system that would completely prevent executables from being copied. All anti-virus systems end up with a prompt that allows you to proceed.

What is the exact message displayed (screenshot, or verbatim copy of the message).
Quote:Original post by Antheus
Rename the file to have .cpp extension?

But still, I don't know of any client-side system that would completely prevent executables from being copied. All anti-virus systems end up with a prompt that allows you to proceed.

What is the exact message displayed (screenshot, or verbatim copy of the message).

^exactly.

Just rename the file to X._renametoExe, and you will be fine. Windows does not have any 'file' command, it just executes it according to the extension.
Other solutions are also mentioned in the thread, such as password zipping/taring/7zipping the file.
Ha, this is a very familiar problem. Windows Live messenger filters .exe files even out of .zip's and .rar's, and since most people are too stoopid to figure out that they have to rename a file to have a .exe extention (if extentions are even shown at all). The solution is: screw WLM/MSN

Use online hosting, Rapidshare and Megaupload sometimes are too hard for the computing-illiterate (they have to enter a 3/5 digit code), so your best shot is to register for some free webspace, and upload it to there. Then just give the HTTP link to your friend.

Another solution would be to set up your own computer as an FTP server, but it#s probably not worth the while.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement