Sign in to follow this  

[C#] NullReferenceException was unhandled?

This topic is 3781 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have a text box in my form called textBox1. I am trying to make it say "Hello" by this line of code: textBox1.Text = "Hello"; But it just tells me that NullReferenceException was unhandled. Anyone know what I am doing wrong? Thankyou. ;)

Either: textBox1 is null (are you attempting to assign the string before you called InitializeComponent() in the constructor?)

Or: something else is null.

In either case you will benefit from running the program in the debugger and stepping through to actually isolate the line of code that throws the null reference exception. You'll also want to post more code if you can't figure it out on your own.

Did you run the code through the debugger? Determine the exact line of code it crashes on? Did you check the value of textBox1 before the crashed line of code? Right now, I'm guessing that you are assigning "Hello" to textBox1.text at a time when textBox1 has not been initialized. Without more information I don't think anyone can tell for sure.

This topic is 3781 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.