Sign in to follow this  
Emmanuel Deloget

"Shade Your World" shading contest

XDigital    181
Hmm, it's definitly not the theme I expected. Expecially because I have no knowledge concerning shaders. It seems that gamedev forces us to keep up with the time. Ok, it is hardware dependant, but is it platform dependant, too? Do we have to use MS Windows, or am I allowed to stick with Ubuntu?
Enquiring
XDigital

superpig    1825
Your submission has to run inside FX Composer 2, which to my knowledge doesn't run on any platform other than Windows.

(BTW, this is not a replacement for 4E6. 4E6 will be running as well, in a few weeks).

blakedev    133
This contest sounds interesting, except for my not being able to think of an original idea :-D

[Edited by - blakedev on August 5, 2007 3:38:47 PM]

rick_appleton    864
Unfortunately I've been unable to get FX Composer 2 to actually run (here). In the hope that somebody might glance at it from here, I'll do the repost thing:

I get the following errors:

---------------------------
Plugin Creation Error
Outer Exception:
ExceptionType: SEHException
Help Line:
Source: Tao.Platform.Windows
StackTrace: at Tao.Platform.Windows.Wgl.wglMakeCurrent(IntPtr deviceContext, IntPtr renderingContext)

at FXComposer.Scene.Render.GlUtils.GLContext.MakeCurrent(Boolean OkWithNullDC) in d:\bld\devtools\FXComposer2\2.0\SDK\TOOLS\src\FXComposer2_NET2\Scene\Render\GlUtils\GLContext.cs:line 278

at FXComposer.Scene.Render.GlUtils.GLContext..ctor() in d:\bld\devtools\FXComposer2\2.0\SDK\TOOLS\src\FXComposer2_NET2\Scene\Render\GlUtils\GLContext.cs:line 167

at FXComposer.Scene.Render.OpenGL.FXRenderDevice_GL.Initialize(Control control, IFXRenderDeviceCallback callback) in d:\bld\devtools\FXComposer2\2.0\SDK\TOOLS\src\FXComposer2_NET2\Devices\OpenGL\FXRenderDevice_GL.cs:line 507

at FXComposer.Scene.Render.Services.FXDeviceService.GetRenderDevice(IFXVirtualDirectory directory) in d:\bld\devtools\FXComposer2\2.0\SDK\TOOLS\src\FXComposer2_NET2\Scene\Render\Services\FXDeviceService.cs:line 126

at FXComposer.UI.Materials.MaterialsForm.Build(IFXPluginType pluginType) in d:\bld\devtools\FXComposer2\2.0\SDK\TOOLS\src\FXComposer2_NET2\UI\Materials\MaterialsForm.cs:line 460

at FXComposer.Core.FXPluginManager.BuildPlugin(IFXPluginType pluginType, Object[] args) in d:\bld\devtools\FXComposer2\2.0\SDK\TOOLS\src\FXComposer2_NET2\Core\FXPluginManager.cs:line 345
TargetSite: Boolean wglMakeCurrent(IntPtr, IntPtr)
OK

If I then click ok I get the next error:

Plugin Creation Error
Outer Exception:
ExceptionType: SEHException
Help Line:
Source: Tao.Platform.Windows
StackTrace: at FXComposer.Core.FXPluginManager.BuildPlugin(IFXPluginType pluginType, Object[] args) in d:\bld\devtools\FXComposer2\2.0\SDK\TOOLS\src\FXComposer2_NET2\Core\FXPluginManager.cs:line 352

at FXComposer.Core.FXPluginManager.BuildPlugin(IFXPluginType pluginType) in d:\bld\devtools\FXComposer2\2.0\SDK\TOOLS\src\FXComposer2_NET2\Core\FXPluginManager.cs:line 314

at FXComposer.UI.FXDockHostPanel.BuildChildForms(IFXVirtualDirectory startDir)

at FXComposer.UI.FXDockHostPanel.Build(IFXPluginType pluginType)

at FXComposer.UI.FXWindowContainer.Build(IFXPluginType pluginType)

at FXComposer.Core.FXPluginManager.BuildPlugin(IFXPluginType pluginType, Object[] args) in d:\bld\devtools\FXComposer2\2.0\SDK\TOOLS\src\FXComposer2_NET2\Core\FXPluginManager.cs:line 345
TargetSite: Boolean wglMakeCurrent(IntPtr, IntPtr)
OK

[Edited by - rick_appleton on August 7, 2007 10:38:17 AM]

rick_appleton    864
Quote:
Original post by coding penguin
try also nvidia developers forums, might get help quicker there

The link in my post points at a post I made there two days ago. No replies yet though.

remigius    1172
Quote:

... FX Composer provides true cross-platform functionality.

If only my newest NVidia card wasn't a GeForce Go440 [grin] I don't suppose it will work (well) on ATI hardware?

Quote:
Original post by rick_appleton
Quote:

The link in my post points at a post I made there two days ago. No replies yet though.

Download the latest drivers for your GPU. If it still doesn't work, try using the DirectX device instead of the OpenGL device (you might need to change the configuration files as the latest layout has been stored now).

What GPU/configuration do you have?

Quote:
Original post by remigius
Quote:

... FX Composer provides true cross-platform functionality.

If only my newest NVidia card wasn't a GeForce Go440 [grin] I don't suppose it will work (well) on ATI hardware?

It should work fine on any DX9-class hardware, be it ATI, Intel or NVIDIA. Of course, a GeForce Go440 is going to be a bit weak...

rick_appleton    864
Quote:
Original post by Emmanuel Deloget
Quote:
Original post by rick_appleton
Quote:

Download the latest drivers for your GPU. If it still doesn't work, try using the DirectX device instead of the OpenGL device (you might need to change the configuration files as the latest layout has been stored now).

What GPU/configuration do you have?

I've got the latest drivers for my GPU (GeForce 6200) and am fully updated on WinXP Pro (service pack 2 plus updates). I've taken a look at all seemingly valid .xml and .cfg files in the root of FX Composer 2 but can't find any reference to a rendering device.

mindrot    253
have you tried installing fxcomposer exclusivly?
i know it comes packaged with several plugins etc
and if i remember correctly, they are optional at install

Sign in to follow this