Sign in to follow this  
TickledPink

XNA Sprites question

Just a quick question on sprites in XNA. How do I create a sprite where a particular colour is transparent? In other libraries in the past it used to be a pinky colour (IIRC Allegro was one that used that colour). Anyway, I've created some simple Isometric blocks in Photoshop with a transparent background but when saved in BMP format they're saved with a white background. At the moment the sprites are being displayed in my program with that white background.

I don't know about how XNA works etc, but ,regarding the image files, .bmp files don't hold transparency information. So you could save them as .png maybe and keep the transparent background.

Alternative method is to save them with a black background and to use additive blending when you render the sprites (spriteBatch.Begin(SpriteBlendMode.AdditiveBlend)) - black areas will then be completely transparent. But the preferred way is to use a PNG file anyway (because you have a finner control over which area should be transparent in your sprite).