noobs path

Started by
4 comments, last by minyman22 16 years, 8 months ago
I have started learning python with pygame, (though have been delayed due to summer vacations). I have found it difficult to memorize a few things, and was wondering if this is common. For example I always mess up somehow when creating a screen in pygame. Also I was wondering how long I should stick with python since I am using it strictly as a learning language. At what point should I get to before I switch over to c++? Thanks Joe
Visit my general programming site to get help, tutorials, as well as get experience by joining projects or making your own - My Site
Advertisement
There's a reason that every programmer has 5-10 reference books on their desk at all times. No one can remember all the details of syntax, let alone remember how to create a window. Humans remember things they do frequently, not once every 3 months. =)

Stick with python until you've actually written a game with it without using tutorials.

-me
I personally started with c++ from zero, theres no skill level to reach before being allowed to use it :o) anyway i think it's quite common among mortal coders to forget details, very often, nothing to be worried about.
I'm happy to be your BacKdoOrMaaan
Don't feel that you *should* switch over to c++. Its what I use and prefer, but its not mandatory that you switch to c++, especially if you are already enjoying pygame. You could also try Plain old C, or Java, or c# if you like.
Don't thank me, thank the moon's gravitation pull! Post in My Journal and help me to not procrastinate!
its all repetition, eventually you'll know the commands like the back of your hand, i went through the same thing with SDL, but after going through those beginning steps 30 times i just remembered them

--------------------------------------Not All Martyrs See Divinity, But At Least You Tried
Are you kidding? I can't use HTML without a tutorial to check base with. Just use your instincts and switch to C++ when you feel your ready. I good reference point would be when you can look at Python code not written by you and understand it. Also try to look at basic code from other languages and sort of "decode" it. You will find that a lot of syntax is similar and it's a good way to simply learn core components of programming.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement