Where to start

Started by
5 comments, last by NoobProger 16 years, 8 months ago
hey guys. i would like to start develop games and was wondering were to start. (and please dont say gamemaker). and please write som tut´s sites. Thx
Advertisement
Why not Gamemaker? It's not a bad tool. (If you want to learn programming specifically, you might want to look at other options, but given the (lack of) detail in your post, I'd say Gamemaker is as good a suggestion as any.

What, more specifically, are you looking for? What is your background, are you starting completely from scratch, do you want to make any specific kind of games and so on.

The more details you provide, the better we can advise you.

For now though, my advice would have to be "don't underestimate Gamemaker" [lol]
It is pretty much the fastest and easiest way to make a game.

If you want to learn programming, I'd go with Python, or maybe C# (and jump on the C# workshop that's currently running here on these forums).

And if you want to do something else... Well, you'll have to tell us what it is. [grin]
well i have been working with game maker for a couples of years now and would like to go a little more rough.

so i am looking for a game dev software that also have some good tut´s sites
you can learn from
You're probably going to want to start by learning a programming language. There are a handful of sources regarding what language to choose. Try looking up Python with PyGame.
Do you want to be an artist, programmer, animator etc? If you're planning on starting out by making small games on your own, then you will probably need to learn a programming language so you can code them yourself. Find a language (C++, C#, Java, Python, etc.), get a compiler, find some online tutorials, and LEARN :P! Before you can get some accurate help, we need to know what area of game development you want to be a part of.

Good luck!
"If I were a philosopher, I might argue that an array name's type is not equivalent to its equivalent. But I'm not a philosopher, so when I suggest something like that, I'm not a philosopher; I'm only being equivalent to a philosopher.""Saturn ascends, choose one or ten. hang on or be humbled again." - Tool
Quote:Original post by Spoonbender
Why not Gamemaker? It's not a bad tool.

it's a dreadful tool, i hated it with a passion. but i guess that might have been personal preference (and that i'd been mucking about with RPGMaker 2000 for about 3 years and this just seemed like more of the same).

this whole C#/XNA thing seems to be being pushed by the MSDN folk as a great way to learn games programming. i'd suggest looking into that or into C++/directx if you're into whacking your head against a wall whilst you try to learn things (this is the route i was forced to take by my university course, and whilst it's ok, i think that using something else might be a little wiser, C++/DX felt a little like tying a boulder to your legs and jumping in at the deep end to me)
Thats what I'm talking about Malazar, C++ is fun for all ages...
09/03/07 - "I was feeling abit okward when I made the switch statement, like I was using a wrench to drive a nail into the deck, when I have a nice hammer right beside me... "

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement