Sign in to follow this  
Flashthinker

Massive confusion

Flashthinker    100
Hi, C++ totally confuses me. The language itself is easy as; what confuses me the most is all the different file types you have to deal with. Also, I've never seen a C++ tutorial that actually gives you the basics on how C++ work, they get down straight to the language bit. Here are my questions: 1. What's the difference between a '.dll' file, a '.a' file, a '.o' file, a '.lib' file and a '.h' file? What does each one do? 2. When you download an API such as DirectX, where should you put the files? I'm using Dev-C++ and all I know is that I need to put the header files in the 'include' directory... I have no idea where to put all the other files and I have no idea what most of them even do.

fpsgamer    856
Quote:
Original post by Flashthinker
Here are my questions:

1. What's the difference between a '.dll' file, a '.a' file, a '.o' file, a '.lib' file and a '.h' file? What does each one do?

.dll
-----
A Dynamic Library under windows. An executable can link against this library at runtime as opposed to compile time.

.a
----
A static library under *nix platforms. Similarly a *.so file is a shared library under *nix platforms.

.o
----
Object file. What is created by a compiler for each source file. A linker takes these files and "links" them all together to make your final executable.

.lib
-----
A static library under windows (as well as under other platforms). Just like a *.a file.

.h
-----
A header file. Used to share declarations between source files. Technically no different than any other text file file. An "#include foo.h" simply copies the contents of that file in place of that line. That line could as easily read "#include foo.jpeg" as long as its a text file.

Quote:
Original post by Flashthinker
2. When you download an API such as DirectX, where should you put the files? I'm using Dev-C++ and all I know is that I need to put the header files in the 'include' directory... I have no idea where to put all the other files and I have no idea what most of them even do.

You'll have to navigate the menus in Dev-C++ and modify your project settings. The compiler and linker need to know where to find all the *.lib, *.dll and *.h files associated with that library.

Also, may I suggest you use Visual Studio Express as your IDE?

[Edited by - fpsgamer on August 4, 2007 9:15:22 PM]

Scet    960
Quote:

1. What's the difference between a '.dll' file, a '.a' file, a '.o' file, a '.lib' file and a '.h' file? What does each one do?

A DLL file contains machine code just like an executable file(.EXE), it has a slightly different structure that allows executables to load them into memory and call the functions inside.

.A and .LIB are library files, I don't know exactly how they work, I believe they either contain machine code or "links" to functions inside DLLs.

.O is an "object file", these are created by your C++ compiler. The compiler creates a .O file for every C++ file, the linker then merges them and assembles the result, creating an executable(note that the assembler may be a different program then the linker).

.H is just a plain text header file, there's nothing special about its format. When you have an #include the compiler opens that .H file and inserts its contents into the C++ file at the point of the #include statement.

Quote:

2. When you download an API such as DirectX, where should you put the files? I'm using Dev-C++ and all I know is that I need to put the header files in the 'include' directory... I have no idea where to put all the other files and I have no idea what most of them even do.

Well first of all, Dev-C++ is an old hat and is no longer being updated. You can move to either Code::Blocks(same compiler package as Dev-C++) or Microsofts Visual C++ Express. Second, the libs and includes in the SDK are meant for Microsofts compilers and probably won't work with GCC(the compiler Dev-C++ and Code::Blocks use) so if you want to keep using it you're have to get the DirectX DevPak.