Classes

Started by
14 comments, last by JohnBolton 16 years, 8 months ago
I am having trouble setting up my classes for some reason. this is my class as it stands now: class code { public: void SDL_Init(); }; When I compile this I get this error: error C2011: 'code' : 'class' type redefinition I am using Visual Studio 2005. I am fairly sure I have everything in the correct order, but keep getting this error. Thanks for any help.
Advertisement
Change the name of the class from 'code' to something else. 'Code' is a pretty generic name, and it looks like it was previously defined, perhaps in one of your header files.
Did you make sure to use include guards?

inside each header file:

#ifndef __HEADER_1_INCLUDED__ // use a unique constant here for each header file
#define __HEADER_1_INCLUDED__

// put header file content here

#endif // __HEADER_1_INCLUDED__

more details here:

http://www.gamedev.net/reference/programming/features/orgfiles/
Quote:Original post by AIDev
Change the name of the class from 'code' to something else. 'Code' is a pretty generic name, and it looks like it was previously defined, perhaps in one of your header files.

I have tried a few different names and nothing changes. I am still trying to just get the classes set up before i try anything else now.

Quote:Original post by fpsgamer
Did you make sure to use include guards?

inside each header file:

#ifndef __HEADER_1_INCLUDED__ // use a unique constant here for each header file
#define __HEADER_1_INCLUDED__

// put header file content here

#endif // __HEADER_1_INCLUDED__

more details here:

http://www.gamedev.net/reference/programming/features/orgfiles/

I have no idea what you are talking about. Kinda sucks I have looked at some stuff online and in my C++ for Dummies books and everything I have read says I have it set up right.

And this error is coming up on code that worked 6 months ago. Which is why I belive it is a setting in VS, but alas I can't figure out which setting it is.

Quote:Original post by Frizbe
I have no idea what you are talking about. Kinda sucks I have looked at some stuff online and in my C++ for Dummies books and everything I have read says I have it set up right.

At this point we can't say for sure what is wrong without seeing your code. But I still suspect it is the include guard problem.

As a general practice, ALL header files should have include guards anyways. The fact that your C++ text neglected to mention that is a bit worrisome.

At this point we can't say for sure what is wrong without seeing your code. But I still suspect it is the include guard problem.

As a general practice, ALL header files should have include guards anyways. The fact that your C++ text neglected to mention that is a bit worrisome.

This is my entire header as it stands now because I keep getting this error:

#include <iostream>
#include <string.h>
#include "SDL/SDL.h"
using namespace std;

class code
{
public:
void SDL_Init();
};

#include <iostream>
#include <string.h>
#include "SDL/SDL.h"
using namespace std;

class code
{
public:
void SDL_Init();
};

It would be helpful if we could also see your source files.

#include <iostream>
#include <string.h>
#include "SDL/SDL.h"
using namespace std;

class code
{
public:
void SDL_Init();
};

As in IOStream, String.h and SDL.h?
Sorry for the beginner-esque questions I am still trying to a handle on the terminology.

#include <iostream>
#include <string.h>
#include "SDL/SDL.h"
using namespace std;

class code
{
public:
void SDL_Init();
};

Like previous posters have said, you're missing include guards. Obligatory link for more information.

EDIT: Whoops, you've already been linked. But the point is, you still need them. The point of include guards is to prevent your compiler from "reading" your header file more than once. C++ doesn't allow multiple definitions of the same named thing, so if you #include your header files in more than one place without the appropiate guards, you'll hit the redefinition error.

EDIT2: I should stop skimming so quickly. fpsgamer has explained exactly what you need to do in this post

EDIT3: And do read the article! It's important :P

#include <iostream>
#include <string.h>
#include "SDL/SDL.h"
using namespace std;

class code
{
public:
void SDL_Init();
};

As in IOStream, String.h and SDL.h?
Sorry for the beginner-esque questions I am still trying to a handle on the terminology.

Header files: Your files that end in .h
Source files: Your files that end in .c or .cpp

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement