Sign in to follow this  
Volatility

OpenGL Vista and OpenGL

Okay I appreciate anyone that has actually got so far as to read this, with the amount of miss information and people dumping on microsoft about the supposed lack of support im sure everyone has better things to do than read a thread that heads up OpenGl and vista in the same sentence. Needless to say I think ive done something very stupid lol, I read up everything i could possibly find about support for OpenGL on Windows Vista and being the incredible optimist that I am decided to impliment my project with OpenGL. Ill admit to not being the most knowledgeable computer programmer in the world but my problem seems to stem from wglGetPixelFormatAttribivARB. Ironically I can get things up and going using the normal PIXELFORMATDESCRIPTOR technique but (correct me if im wrong) theres no way to get multisampling working though the old method? In particular I can get a pixel format that supports WGL_SUPPORT_OPENGL_ARB but was getting nothing on swapbuffers, haha never thought id be happy with a simple black screen :P. Does anyone know the relationship between the formats returned by wglGetPixelFormatAttribivARB and the windows PIXELFORMATDESCRIPTORS? Ive tried querying a format that supposedly supports WGL_SUPPORT_OPENGL_ARB using DescribePixelFormat to find that PFD_SUPPORT_OPENGL isnt flagged which obviously seams to leaves me up shit creek. Any help about whats going on would be appreciated. ( Yes ive tried turning dwmEnableComposition to DWM_EC_DISABLECOMPOSITION which doesnt seem to do me much good in this case either. )

Quote:
theres no way to get multisampling working though the old method?

That's correct.

Try the demoes from developer.nvidia.com
The SDK there has soe demoes that show multisampling.

Also, nehe has a tutorial on this.

Quote:
Does anyone know the relationship between the formats returned by wglGetPixelFormatAttribivARB and the windows PIXELFORMATDESCRIPTORS?

You get the pixelformat using a temporary window (hidden) and then use it to setup multisample on your main window and that's all. Using SetPixelFormat of course.