What's a Software Engineer?

Started by
13 comments, last by Todd Smith 16 years, 6 months ago
A Software Engineer and a programmers are not the same.

I'll post you and example, directly of a class I took yesterday of "Software Engineering".

An Architect don't need to do the same job when he builds his dog's house that the job he does with a skyscraper.
You don't need to do "Software Engineering" for every program you do, of course. But with large projects it is needed some planing, and just knowing a language (aka just being a programmer) will not be enought.
Advertisement
I like these definitions (from the link by fpsgamer)
Quote:
Compare these program descriptions from the University of Waterloo:

"Computer Science (CS) focuses on understanding, designing, and developing programs and computers. At its core, Computer Science concentrates on data, data transformation, and algorithms. Advanced courses present specialized programming techniques and specific application domains."

"Software Engineering (SE) deals with building and maintaining software systems. It is more software-oriented and has a greater emphasis on large software applications than Computer Engineering. It is more applied than Computer Science, placing greater emphasis on the entire software development process, from idea to final product. It is also more disciplined than Computer Science, applying more systematic practices to help ensure that products are reliable and safe."

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

You need to combine two definitions:
Software (noun) .....
Engineer(noun) .....

Both of which have several correct definitions. You've actually asked quite a difficult question.
I just wanted to see if he would actually do it. Also, this test will rule out any problems with system services.
After brief thought I think my definition of a software engineer is a person who builds software.
"Programmer" is specific to a person who programs computers. Its possible to be a software engineer without being a programmer, however that is quite rare since the two disciplines are closely intertwined.
I just wanted to see if he would actually do it. Also, this test will rule out any problems with system services.
Software Engineering is akin to an Architech
Software Programming is akin to a Construction Worker

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement