MSVC 6.0 debugger hangs

Started by
10 comments, last by CrazyCdn 16 years, 8 months ago
Has anyone ever seen this before?? I needed to reinstall MSVC 6.0. So I did. At the end, it "strongly" suggested that I run a Windows NT symbols setup afterwards. So I did (stupidly, since my computer is Win2K). It had worked on this computer before; but now every time I try to go into debug mode by hitting F5, it says "Loading symbols..." and hangs. It can compile OK but the debug mode hangs every time. I have tried the following: -Reinstall MSVC. -Uninstall then reinstall MSVC, but don't run the symbols setup. -Rename the windows directory that contains *.dbg files. -Delete all *.dbg files from the windows directory; then uninstall and reinstall MSVC. I'm really not sure where to go from here. Is there some kind of registry key I need to delete or something?
Advertisement
MSVC 6.0 is toothy old man that needs put out of his misery.

VS2005 Express is available free (I believe) and does a whole lot better job at just about EVERYTHING (with the exception of the Intellisense-thread-blocking garbage).

I would suggest upgrading, since you're already in the install/reinstall step.
my_life:          nop          jmp my_life
[ Keep track of your TDD cycle using "The Death Star" ] [ Verge Video Editor Support Forums ] [ Principles of Verg-o-nomics ] [ "t00t-orials" ]
Do you really need VS6? or just a compiler/IDE?
Cause if you have the option you should just try upgrading to the free VS2005 express edition.
If you're doing C++ development, you need a C++ compiler. MSVC 6 is not a C++ compiler, it came out before the first C++ standard. MSVC 6 is something like 14 years old...

As KulSeran said, why not downlaod the free Visual Studio 2005 Express? It can do everything that MSVC 6 can do with the exception of MFC or resources. You can get external editors for resources, or even use MSVC 6 for that if you want. (Make sure you read This).
Oh! For some reason I was under the impression that the newest Visual Studio was only for XP; but in the "requirements" section it says it's compatible with Win2K. Maybe I'll try installing that and see how it goes. Thanks for the advice!

If anyone has any ideas on how to fix MSVC6, I'm still open to suggestions. I'd still like to keep a working copy on my computer... from my experience, antiquated software often offers the users much more power than newer versions that take features away from them "for their own good." :)
Quote:Original post by Evil Steve
MSVC 6 is not a C++ compiler.

MSVC 6 is not an ansi C++ compiler.

Fixed. [grin]
Quote:Original post by fpsgamer
Quote:Original post by Evil Steve
MSVC 6 is not a C++ compiler.

MSVC 6 is not an ansi C++ compiler.

Fixed. [grin]

But since 98 C++ has been an ISO standard. I don't know if an ANSI standard still technically speaking exists.
But today, in 2007, C++ == ISO C++. And VC++6.0 is *not* compliant with that standard so today, in 2007, it is not a C++ compiler.

Quote:from my experience, antiquated software often offers the users much more power than newer versions that take features away from them "for their own good." :)

Your experience doesn't apply to Visual C++.
The only extra thing 6.0 offers is the ability to generate illegal or buggy code.
Personally I can live without that feature "for my own good".
My dad has 30 years of programming experience, and currently works on embedded firmware for storage devices. At his workplace, they prefer to use MSVC 6.0 because it compiles more efficiently than the newer versions. I'm sure there are perfectly valid reasons to use the newer versions as well. I'm just saying :)

Now I remember why I thought Visual C++ 2005 wouldn't work on Win2K... the Platform SDK doesn't install on it. Well, I guess I'll look for an outdated SDK to install... :\
Quote:Original post by UltimateWalrus
My dad has 30 years of programming experience, and currently works on embedded firmware for storage devices. At his workplace, they prefer to use MSVC 6.0 because it compiles more efficiently than the newer versions.

Actually, the VC6 compiler produces extremely inefficient code in a lot of circumstances (not to mention, incorrect code in some circumstances). It's likely that his workplace uses it because certain embedded device SDKs were written to work with VC6 and never updated after that.
Quote:Original post by UltimateWalrus
Now I remember why I thought Visual C++ 2005 wouldn't work on Win2K... the Platform SDK doesn't install on it. Well, I guess I'll look for an outdated SDK to install... :\

You can just download the Platform SDK from Microsoft's own website?
[ search: google ][ programming: msdn | boost | opengl ][ languages: nihongo ]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement