Cost to produce racing simulation game

Started by
4 comments, last by Tom Sloper 16 years, 8 months ago
A question for the combined knowledge of the forum...... Does anyone have an idea as to what a racing simulation game such as Live for Speed, Rfactor, NetkarPro would costs to produce ? Im looking for a rough idea JUST for the production of the game (excluding marketing, etc.).
Advertisement
Ballpark figure: Millions, hundreds of thousands?

That is as accurate as you are going to get without more specific details and time spent on proper cost estimation. You have to take into account the cost of hardware, office space, software, employees and utility bills for example.

Steven Yau
[Blog] [Portfolio]

Quote:Original post by poppacharley
Does anyone have an idea as to what a racing simulation game such as Live for Speed, Rfactor, NetkarPro would costs to produce ?

Hi Charley,
The easy answer to the question you asked (the way you worded the question) is "yes, probably someone does."

But since you added "Im looking for a rough idea JUST for the production of the game (excluding marketing, etc.)," I can suggest a way you can probably estimate it yourself.
First, get the credits for such a game.
Then count up the people, figure out how many months each person worked. Using the Salary Survey from gamecareerguide.com, you can figure out approximately how much each person earned for that time period.
Create a spreadsheet such as I've shown in my article on game finances at http://www.sloperama.com/advice/finances.htm and you should be able to come up with a reasonably close figure (or range of figures).
Good luck.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Thanks Tom,

That is helpful, i unfortunately have no idea as to what the staff requirements would be and I cant (and maybe shouldn't) even begin to guess. I come from a motor sports background not a software engineering/programming/gaming background so I have no clue as to what is required from a software design point of view.

The goal is to basically create a "flightsim" for motor sports. A realistic racing simulator.

The features would basically be:

-3 Different Car Choices (modeled using telemetry from actual cars)
-20 Different Track Choices (modeled on existing tracks)
-Changing Weather
-Editable/Changeable Skins
-Mutliplayer (network) compatibility.
-Arcade play

The AI would obviously be fairly basic, I would like a unique physics and sound engine and would also like the rendering to
be as realistic as possible without affecting processor speed to much.

In your opinion what staff would be required?

thanks again.
The AI would obviously be fairly basic
It would? You want a sim (IE accurate) yet the AI is going to be basic and thus inaccurate. Doesn't make sense.

Quote:I would like a unique physics and sound engine
what exactly do you want to be unique about them?

Quote:In your opinion what staff would be required?

I am afraid you're not even close to giving enough information for someone to answer that question. You would need a full design listing all the features (in detail). From that you would produce a schedule, which would then allow you to calculate how much time you need and how many people. Once you have that you can start to calculate the cost.

[Edited by - Obscure on August 7, 2007 7:09:06 AM]
Dan Marchant - Business Development Consultant
www.obscure.co.uk
Thanks Tom,
That is helpful, i unfortunately have no idea as to what the staff requirements would be and I cant (and maybe shouldn't) even begin to guess.

That's why I suggested you crack open the credits of a game roughly similar to yours. To get a head count, for one thing. And to get roles, for another - the roles would help you correlate the head count to average salaries. Read FAQ 61, get credits for a game, get the Salary Survey, and start calculating.
Figure the game will take 18 to 24 months.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement