D3D9 Multisampling problem with left and top pixels (solved but no explanation)

Started by
4 comments, last by beezle 16 years, 8 months ago
Hi all, I have a problem with multisampling. Whenever it is enabled the background (clear) color is visible on the left and top pixels (the pixel with x == 0 or y == 0). It's not the pure background color but it looks like the objects that are rendered are almost completely transparent on those pixel. I tried around with differend depth/stencil buffer types, windowed/fullscreen and some render state settings. And it's enough to disable multisampling in the render states and it could still be in the present parameters. If I don't clear the back buffer, the left and top pixels are darker then they should be. Did anyone ever have that problem? Thank You, Beezle [Edited by - beezle on August 5, 2007 3:46:31 PM]
Advertisement
Any chance of a screenshot?

And how are you rendering? If you're using pretransformed vertices, are you offsetting your vertices by (-0.5f, -0.5f)?
error.png That's a magnified part of the left side.

I'm not using pretransformed vertices. And I have the same thing even when rendering the GUI with ID3DXSprite. And there is no difference between textured objects and non-textured objects.

Pretty weird I think since it is just at the left and top pixels.
It works now if I create the device with software instead of mixed or hardware vertex processing, and I'm even getting more FPS.

Can anyone offer an explanation? :-)
Quote:Original post by beezle
It works now if I create the device with software instead of mixed or hardware vertex processing, and I'm even getting more FPS.

Can anyone offer an explanation? :-)
What graphics card are you using? And do you have the latest drivers? Software vertex processing means that all vertex transform and lighting will be done on the CPU, and only rasterization will be done on the GPU. The only reason you should get more FPS with software vertex processing is if the graphics card is really crapy, or it's doing "fake" hardware vertex processing and doing a worse job than D3D's version (E.g. some Intel integrated chipset with old drivers).

As for why it looks different - that hints at a driver bug.
Getting more FPS suprised me quite a bit too. I have a Radeon 9600 and I just updated the driver now. It didn't help at first, but disabling the "adaptive antialiasing" in the radeon setup did the trick, so it really was a driver thing. It also worked on my laptop on a mobility radeon 9700.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement