Programming a game for the Nintendo Wii

Started by
15 comments, last by eedok 16 years, 8 months ago
Quote:Original post by Kazgoroth
If you're interested in venturing into some homebrew I'd probably recommend targetting the Dreamcast if you're able.

The DS/PSP platforms also have homebrew capabilities. I've personally only done DS stuff, so I can't comment on the pros/cons between the three.
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Buster2000
...you can wait for this indie solution that nintendo keep hinting at whenever they decide to release it.
"Indie" doesn't necessarily mean "homebrew". The odds that the average Joe hobbyist developer is going to be able to participate are, probably, very close to zero.

Quote:Original post by smitty1276
Quote:Original post by Buster2000
...you can wait for this indie solution that nintendo keep hinting at whenever they decide to release it.
"Indie" doesn't necessarily mean "homebrew". The odds that the average Joe hobbyist developer is going to be able to participate are, probably, very close to zero.

I didn't say that indie meant homebrew. I was simply stated that getting an indie license or an official dev license are the only legal paths for writing native code on the Wii.
Quote:Original post by Dolf
Right does that all also go for the xbox and playstation?

You need a dev licence from microsoft/sony and then you can get started with some tools?

Edit: Talking games for release, official ones. Not something illegal.

Homebrew isn't illegal, it just isn't commonly supported.

in order to actually play most homebrew on most consoles you are forced to modify the hardware (or the software) which could violate some laws in certain countries (The US DMCA might be one such law if it is impossible to run the homebrew without circumventing the copyprotection on the console but most free countries do allow you to modify hardware you've bought).

For supported homebrew you would want to look at XNA for the xbox360 or Sonys GNU/Linux kits for the PS2 and PS3.
[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!
I've seen a lot of things on YouTube and some searches where you can use the Wii controllers for PC games or programs. They looked like fairly simple scripts that allow you to map the Wii functions. The Wii uses bluetooth I believe so as long as you have bluetooth hardware for your computer and download any one of the scripts off the net, I don't see why you couldn't use the controllers much like any joystick or gamepad.
Quote:Original post by Dwiff
The Wii uses bluetooth I believe so as long as you have bluetooth hardware for your computer and download any one of the scripts off the net, I don't see why you couldn't use the controllers much like any joystick or gamepad.

Yep, it's really easy to setup (at least, on Windows). I personally use GlovePIE to convert the WiiMote input to a virtual parallel port joystick (via PPJoy) which gets read by games.

Still working on getting a similar setup on my FreeBSD machine (currently hacking apart bsdmoted) :/
&#106avascript</a>

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement