Sign in to follow this  
Programmer101

Bloom flicker problem

I have set up a bloom post processing effect in my program, but something along the way is not working. When the camera moves it makes a seizure-prompting effect in the bright areas. I really hope someone can help me with this. I have tried 4 different ways to down-sample because I though that was the problem but it is still not working. Please help me. Here are the steps in the shader: Original scene: Original Down-sampled: Down sampled Bright pass: Bright pass Blurred: Blurred Final Composition: Final Composition As you can probably see, some areas that should be bloomed are cut out. I think it is from the down sampler but I really have no clue. After trying four different down samplers I am doubting that though. Thanks very much!

I think you might need to down-sample after doing the bright pass. During down-sampling, a bright area next to a dark area will be averaged down to below the threshold. You can see in the down-sampled image how the thin bright areas have been darkened by the surrounding areas. In the down-sampling, instead of averaging the pixels, you could use the highest value. You could also lower the threshold in the bright pass.