A Noobs Question: Java or C#?

Started by
14 comments, last by mutex 16 years, 8 months ago
I'll throw another vote for C# and XNA while we're at it -- however, I'd just like to straighten one thing out...I have used both eclipse and visual studio extensively for projects of various sizes and anyone badmouthing eclipse without looking at it should really keep their mouthes shut...it is a capable, extensible IDE that is not only built from java, but just happens to excel at providing a development environment for it. If there's one thing I am -not- a big fan of about java, however, it is the arcane things I have to do to get a simple form application running.

Visual studio has a beautiful WYSIWYG form designer that generates quite lovely code...

I suppose another thing to consider is version control. For me anyway, being able to version control my code is important -- subclipse plugin for eclipse works lovely with subversion -- though, Visual SVN is pretty darn tidy too, for Visual Studio. Only thing not going for Visual SVN is the price tag -- and express edition visual studio cannot use plugins either, so that's out of the window.

Depends on what you want to do in the end. Game authoring is easier with XNA, imo -- it facilitates it. Java takes itself a little more seriously :)

~Shiny
------------'C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot. C++ makes it harder, but when you do, it blows away your whole leg.' -Bjarne Stroustrup
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Shiny
I have used both eclipse and visual studio extensively for projects of various sizes and anyone badmouthing eclipse without looking at it should really keep their mouthes shut...it is a capable, extensible IDE that is not only built from java, but just happens to excel at providing a development environment for it.

I should clarify my comment above: I am not, in any way, badmouthing Eclipse. I have used Eclipse, briefly, and (as I said) it seemed okay. My personal preference is for Visual Studio -- but IDE preferences are pretty subjective.

@The OP -- Re-reading your post raises another thing: if you've started learning Java, stick with it. Perseverance is one of the most important things when you're starting to learn to program.
[TheUnbeliever]
They're both capable languages that can produce quality products and will allow you to learn how to program. Whichever you are most comfortable will be fine. As you've already made a start with Java I would usually recommend sticking with it at least for the time being, but as we currently have the excellent C# workshop running as an additional learning resource you could always take a look at C# as well/instead if you like, then make your own decision on which you think you prefer.

Quote:2. Where i could get a compiler and IDE

For C# I use Visual C# 2005 Express Edition
For Java I normally use JCreator LE (you'll also need a copy of the latest JDK).
Both are free.

- Jason Astle-Adams

Thanks for posting everyone.
Since I do not have the time to learn two languages I think that I am going to stick with java. C# can come later once I have a bit of experience with OOP.
J.W.
Personally, I can't see the reason for the praise eclipse gets. (to me) it is awkward and seems to be one of those classic cases of flexibility hindering getting stuff done. NetBeans 6.0 (still beta) is (imo) a far nicer Java IDE.

Though I, like others would recommend C# for hobbyist gamedev.
Quote:Original post by jdub
Thanks for posting everyone.
Since I do not have the time to learn two languages I think that I am going to stick with java. C# can come later once I have a bit of experience with OOP.
That's a good plan. I used Java for years before switching to C#. Knowing both languages never hurt for me.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement