Sign in to follow this  
Quat

turning switches / doing actions

Quat    568
I'm thinking of final fantasy (old ones) games where your player could go up to a treasure chest, and press a button to open it, or press a button to throw a switch. What is the best way to handle this in a game. Right now I have a messaging system. When the user presses the "action" button, should I send a message to all nearby objects that listen for that message (like chests, buttons, doors) so that they can change their state?

newera    157
The way I did it was to call a script upon receiving an event. For example, when a player steps on a switch or opens a door, the entity in question calls a script to see what it should do, if anything. I did this for entering and/or leaving a state.

Player steps on floor switch -> floor switch state goes to down --> the floor switch runs a script if it has one -> script does an action, opens far off door.

It makes for a robust system, you can do just about anything with it.

-Tony

oliii    2196
Maybe not all entities, just the one you want to use / collect. Send a request message to that entity, and that entity will perform the relevant action (via script or not).