question from a newbie

Started by
3 comments, last by sourge 24 years, 4 months ago
You should probably learn 2D before getting into 3D. There are a lot of routes you can take to get started, and no clear-cut "best" path, but I'd suggest getting Tricks of the Windows Game Programming Gurus (look in the books section), and reading some of the tutorials in our reference section. There are quite a few about getting started in both the programming and industry sections.
Advertisement
thx for your reply. i currently have the black book of game programming and game programming gurus. (both books that are on the opening page to the site). would you recommend learning 2d b4 jumping into these books?
You should definitely start reading Game Programming Gurus as there isn't that much to learn about "2D" graphics. A blit is a blit and it's really what you do with it that matters as it won't take long to learn. The book discusses a lot more than graphics and it would be a good read before making your own game as it discusses every aspect of a game. Unfortunately the book is rather dated and if you are developing under/for Windows then you will want to use DirectX for your input, sound, and music so you won't be able to reuse most of the book's code.

The Black Book of Graphics Programming is a great book and if you intend to write your own 3D engine it will be of great value. The book also discusses a lot of indepth, technical programming and design, and is a great read for expanding how you think about programming and optimization.

Most programmers (including me) use either OpenGL or Direct3D for their 3D engines. While you don't _have_ to use either one of these, the advantages FAR outweigh the disadvantages.

i have a quick question. i am alredy efficient at C++/assembly. what my question is, is what is the first thing i should do to begin programming my game. i want to mess around with 3d engines. i really would like a tutorial on where to start. thx in advance
thx again for all the help. i know this question would probably be answered by reading the books, but how would you use both software mode and/or opengl mode. would i have to make a function that read if the computer was using a 3d accelator? im sorry for the hassle guys. oh, and btw, im creating some tuts for c++ over at http://degrade.unrealengine.com tell me what you think

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement