Sign in to follow this  
eniCma

How we can overcome the huge Programming text book?

How we can overcome the huge Programming text book (500 pages up...) ? Do you read every pages and coding every example untill end of the last pages? Any the best way to speed up reading the text book (atleast your way you do)? I have some basic of C/C++ but I would like to study Game programming by study fromm text book (that huge and a lot of pages...~ 800 pages). I am afraided that I will give up before I finish the book. Thank for every comment and sharing.

Well I bought a couple books years ago, let them sit on my desk, hoping that maybe somehow I would learn the stuff. Like you a knew a little C/C++ from highschool and such but never really was able to wrap my head around the stuff until lately. I took some college classes but mainly I sat down and actually did the excersises and played with code to see what it does. Everything builds on everything and you can't expect to just learn the stuff. Patiences and practice thats my 2 cents.

In my experience, it depends on the topic. If the subject is completely new to me, I tend to read the entire book ( although not in sequence ). But mostly, I use books as a reference; Refering to them on an "as-needed" basis. In the end, it's all about grasping the concepts from the book, and turning them into your our code through practice.

Right now my Learn C++ in 21 Days props up my monitor so I don't hurt my back. :P

I use it sometimes, but when I was as green as grass, I would read a chapter and tried to implement it in two or three ways. Granted, it's difficult at times, but you end up with lots of nifty little one file gadgets. They don't do much, but it's fun to see what you made. And when I got to a chapter which didn't present much that could be made into a program, I'd try and revamp and old program with the newer ideas.

Hope that helps a little.