Lighting on Objects

Started by
13 comments, last by Geometrian 16 years, 8 months ago
Hi, Note: All code here will be Python. I'm making a game where the player runs through a maze collecting objects, (in this case money in the form of gemstones). The facets of the gems face different directions, and so a light should illuminate each one differently. Therefore, I am adding a light to make enable one to discern the stones' 3D shape. The stones also rotate by "gem_rotate". The rendering code:
glEnable(GL_LIGHTING)
glRotatef(gem_rotate, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0)
glTranslatef(0.0, 0.2, 0.0)
glScalef(0.3, 0.3, 0.3)
glCallList(4)
glDisable(GL_LIGHTING)
My problem is that the lighting appears to be lighting the stone unanimously, making seeing each individual facet impossible. Further, I infer that the light is rotating too, as the color appears to fluctuate with the stone's rotation. It also seems to make no difference where I place the light. So, can anyone help? Thanks in advance for comments, Geometrian

[size="1"]And a Unix user said rm -rf *.* and all was null and void...|There's no place like 127.0.0.1|The Application "Programmer" has unexpectedly quit. An error of type A.M. has occurred.
[size="2"]

Advertisement
1st) How are you setting up your light, and where? What is probably happening is that the light is being set at the origin of the scene, and then being rotating, since OpenGL is a state machine and whatever happened before, will apply until it's been changed. Try encasing the Light Position code with

glPushMatrix
glPopMatrix

2nd) You have to renmember that the Fixed Function lighting in OpenGL, is calculated Per-Vertex, and then interpolated across the polygon (if GL_SMOOTH shademodel is enabled). So unless you have very high polygon models, this kind of lighting is never going to work brilliantly.
If you want your light to be static at a certain position

glLoadIdentity();
glLight(GL_LIGHT0, GL_POSITION, ....);

and if you want it to be transformed by the camera
you can either compute the new light position yourself or

glLoadIdentity();
applyCamera();
glLight(GL_LIGHT0, GL_POSITION, ....);

you also need to decide on point light, directional light, spot light.

It's better to use shaders and do your own custom lighting (phong lighting/shading).
Sig: http://glhlib.sourceforge.net
an open source GLU replacement library. Much more modern than GLU.
float matrix[16], inverse_matrix[16];
glhLoadIdentityf2(matrix);
glhTranslatef2(matrix, 0.0, 0.0, 5.0);
glhRotateAboutXf2(matrix, angleInRadians);
glhScalef2(matrix, 1.0, 1.0, -1.0);
glhQuickInvertMatrixf2(matrix, inverse_matrix);
glUniformMatrix4fv(uniformLocation1, 1, FALSE, matrix);
glUniformMatrix4fv(uniformLocation2, 1, FALSE, inverse_matrix);
I copied the code from a program I wrote that draws atoms, and it worked fine. Here's the code:
LightAmbient  = ( (0.5, 0.5, 0.5, 1.0) );LightDiffuse  = ( (1.0, 1.0, 1.0, 1.0) );LightPosition = ( (5.0, 5.0, 5.0, 1.0) );glLightfv( GL_LIGHT0, GL_AMBIENT, LightAmbient )glLightfv( GL_LIGHT0, GL_DIFFUSE, LightDiffuse )glLightfv( GL_LIGHT0, GL_POSITION, LightPosition )glEnable( GL_LIGHT0 )
It's called once at the beginning of the program.

[size="1"]And a Unix user said rm -rf *.* and all was null and void...|There's no place like 127.0.0.1|The Application "Programmer" has unexpectedly quit. An error of type A.M. has occurred.
[size="2"]

If it's called once at the beginning of your app then every subsequent glTranslatef will cause the light to move.

As V-Man said, at the beginning of each frame

glLoadIdentity()
drawLight()
setCamera()

Do everything else.

Hopefully this should work
OK, the light stays stationary! But, it doesn't fix the silhouette-ish problem.

[size="2"]

The gem has 64 triangles. I'm getting a lighting effect I want with a sphere (80 divisions each way) substituted for the stone...

[size="2"]

Are you rendering your gems with proper normals?
I don't know what you mean; I'm rather new to this, so examples would be helpful :-)

[size="2"]

Normals are vectors that indicate to OpenGL the perpendicular direction of the polygon's plane (the normal direction). I think that if you aren't setting the normals, and just leaving them at a default value, then there will be no shading differentiation between your gem's facets, and since they will all be 'facing the same way' then they will pulse on and off as the gem rotates, just as an individual facet would (but all in unison).

If you didn't know this, then you really REALLY need to read some resources on OpenGL lighting before you do anything else with lights.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement