QuakeCon 07: John Carmack Keynote [update: questions and answers added]

Started by
16 comments, last by _the_phantom_ 16 years, 8 months ago
I don't know if this has been posted before since the file has been posted 4 days ago, but I didn't found it in the search. So: Carmack's QuakeCon 2007 here's the question and answers: Carmack's QuakeCon 2007 Q&A [Edited by - wolverine on August 13, 2007 7:55:07 AM]
Advertisement
sounds very impressive. I was purhaps going to post it myself.
The editor alone is enough to sell a game imo. Good competition for UE3.
Thanks! Interesting to see how he thinks mobile phones are a relatively risk free way of trying out new ideas.
It's a shame I can't access the link from work. What all does Mr. Carmack have to say?
He goes on for about an hour.
The new game 'Rage' looks very pretty. Too bad its a racing game though, Id really like to shoot that guy with the rice hat.

I found it very interesting when he was talking about the pros and cons of doing simultaneous release (PC, 360 and PS3) of a game. Basically if you plan to support multiple platforms you pretty much have to do a simultaneous release. And apparently the PS3 is very difficult to develop for, compared to the 360 (and of course the PC). Putting this all together, this means that if a game is coming out for both the PC and the PS3, the PC people have to wait up to a year extra to play it even when the PC version is finished, just because the PS3 has such a long development time.

I guess Ill just add this to my list of reasons why I hate consoles.
Carmack reminds me of
">Bruce McCullogh from Kids In The Hall

[Formerly "capn_midnight". See some of my projects. Find me on twitter tumblr G+ Github.]

Quote:Original post by AndreTheGiant
He goes on for about an hour.
The new game 'Rage' looks very pretty. Too bad its a racing game though, Id really like to shoot that guy with the rice hat.

http://www.quakeunity.com/file=2514

If you watch that I get the impression you might be able to shoot the guy in the rice hat =p.
also:
more
I wish Carmack would do as much for game AI as he has done for game graphics.
Don't thank me, thank the moon's gravitation pull! Post in My Journal and help me to not procrastinate!
Quote:Original post by capn_midnight
Carmack reminds me of
">Bruce McCullogh from Kids In The Hall

To me he seems more like Ritchie Cunningham (from Happy Days). Just the voice really (minus the speech impediment)

[edit]

I just started watching the keynote ... what happened to Carmack's speech impediment? He used to make a 'mmm' sound at the end of certain sentences.

[Edited by - fpsgamer on August 12, 2007 9:15:06 PM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement