gamedev.net Pac Man Tutorial

Started by
11 comments, last by swiftcoder 16 years, 8 months ago
For a while there was a thread/tutorial that showed how to make pac man with c++ step by step. Anyone know whatever happend to it? thanks, -durfy
Advertisement
There was? I've only seen Tetris.

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

Yea...same here. I have only seen the Tetris one.

Chad

I've also only ever seen the Tetris in an hour step by step tutorial. I dont really think these step by step tutorials are a great way to learn, as they just tell you to do this and that and then skip the important details. You will learn alot more by trying to create a pacman clone yourself, that way you will see what your struggling on, and you can then come here and ask a question on that topic.
Your first goal in your PacMan quest should be this:
  1. Get PacMan on the screen
  2. Get pellet(s) on the screen
  3. Get PacMan to move
  4. Get PacMan to collide with the pellet
  5. Get the pellet to disappear after 4. happens

Notice I never mentioned: ghosts, mazes, or scores. So don't worry about those.

Quote:Original post by Alpha_ProgDes
Your first goal in your PacMan quest should be this:
  1. Get PacMan on the screen
  2. Get pellet(s) on the screen
  3. Get PacMan to move
  4. Get PacMan to collide with the pellet
  5. Get the pellet to disappear after 4. happens

Notice I never mentioned: ghosts, mazes, or scores. So don't worry about those.

get the pellets to disappear after 4? sorry its been like 10 years since i played pacman

--------------------------------------Not All Martyrs See Divinity, But At Least You Tried
Do the pellets not disappear when Pacman eats them (or in my words "collide" with them)?

Yeah I got pacman on the screen he can turn walk left right up down ... but my problem was I can't figure out how to do the walls and stuff. I can do collisions/ drawing of pelets as well... i haven't done it yet .. cuz i wanna get my walls up.
Thanks.
-durfy
Well if your collision with the pellets are not right, you can be guaranteed the collision with the walls are going to be worse.

But anyway.....

You'll have a file which looks like this:
WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW                                     WW                                     WW                                     WW                                     WW                                     WW                                     WW                                     WW                                     WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

You'll load this file into your game. Now somewhere in your code you'll have to make an associate with 'W' and a wall graphic. Also you'll have to make sure that the array is big enough so it can hold the maze.

Here's a link: (sorry couldn't find a good, easy link)

you could use tiling, and check collision with any wall tile

--------------------------------------Not All Martyrs See Divinity, But At Least You Tried

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement