Sign in to follow this  
Revelation60

Creating rotation matrix through the target point

Hi, In the game I am creating the enemies should first look at the player before they start to shoot. Also, when the player runs, the enemies should always look at him. I use a 4*4 matrix for the enemy. So when I have the player pos I should be able to rotate that matrix to let them view the player. The rotation will be one on the y-axis. This was my theory:
Quote:
float angle = atanf((Enemy.pos.z - objCamera.mPos.z) / (Enemy.pos.x - objCamera.mPos.x)); Enemy.LocalMatrix[0] = cosf(angle); Enemy.LocalMatrix[2] = sinf(angle); Enemy.LocalMatrix[8] = -sinf(angle); Enemy.LocalMatrix[10] = cosf(angle);
But this only works if the player is in the first quadrant. Is there an easy way to fix this or should I check in which quadrant the player is?

You can use atan2() instead of just atan() when you are getting the angle. atan2() takes two arguments and will correct for which quadrant the angle is in.

Any time you apply a direct-inverse trig function pair, there's a mathematical identity you should probably be using instead.

cos(atan(x)) = sqrt(1 / (1 + x^2)); sin(atan(x)) = sqrt(x^2 / (1 + x^2))