Sign in to follow this  

How to tackle this project?

This topic is 3764 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi all. I've been creating some custom prototypes of children's games using Flash 8 for my company, but they would like to remove me from the equation if possible (yes I realize I could be putting myself out of a job by writing a program that does my job for me, but I'm fine with that) by having a piece of software that is abstract and simple enough to create any future prototypes without me coding them by hand. Whew, did you get all that? Right now someone designs a simple game, someone makes the art for it, and then I write the ActionScript for it. These aren't going to be PC games btw, they're handheld games with physical components. We've been testing it by having a picture of what the final product would look like and allowing the user to interact with it on the screen the way they normally would if they could pick it up. We've got a touch screen monitor so you can sort of feel like you're hitting buttons :) Anyway, I hope that gives you a bit of an idea of what I've been doing. If it's still unclear, just say so. My goal now is to create an application that would allow anyone to create one of these prototypes, even if they don't know how to program. So it would have to be somewhat intuitive, and pretty much entirely GUI-based. I'm thinking of having an interface similar to Microsoft Visio, where users can drag and drop different shapes that define the flow of the program. I'd also like to incorporate some design ideas from www.FlashFilterLab.com, like how each module can be clicked on to access more parameters that control how it works. So a few questions that come to mind... What is the best programming environment? There's no way I can do this in Flash, so my next choice is probably going to be C++ in conjunction with ClanLib(www.clanlib.org -- open source game library). Also, how should I structure my program? I obviously want to go OOP, but I'm not sure if I should create a Scene class that handles everything, or try the MVC (Model-View-Controller) design pattern. That's kind of where I'm at for now... I'll update this thread as I think of more questions or as more problems arise ;) Thanks in advance! -Scutter

If the people you are building this software for use Windows OS then use C# .NET and Visual Studio Express if you don't want to buy the full IDE.
That would make your job easier, and you can focus on the IDE/App logic more than lots of API code.

Otherwise I would recommend wxWidgets and C++, wxDev-Cpp and I think Code::Blocks have IDE designers that use wxWidgets.

I'd go with .NET personally in that situation if we're talking about Windows platform software.

This topic is 3764 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.