Is Java the best??

Started by
16 comments, last by hplus0603 16 years, 7 months ago
Is Java really the best choice for multiplayer programming? What other languages are out there that can create multiplayer games?
Advertisement
You can write multiplayer games in most languages, including but not limited to:
Java
C#
C++
C
SML
Pascal/Delphi
Basic (most dialects)
PHP (it works even though its a bit of a pain to setup for standalone applications)
Python

Java is one of my personal favourites though. (It isn't always the best choice, but neither is any other language)
[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!
You might want to check out my new language, networking toolkit, GUI and 3D engine .

Check the thread in the Your Announcement section ;)
Quote:Original post by YoungOne
Is Java really the best choice for multiplayer programming? What other languages are out there that can create multiplayer games?

I like Java, and program in Java, and it's a good choice for network programming (although using it just for network programming and doing the rest in C++ would seem like an overly complicated solution with extensive JNI overhead), but why would you say that? Seeing as how you wrote "really", did you read this opinion somewhere?
Honestly I prefer flash AS3 over java. But hey that's just me. Client side anyway. For larger games I'd definitely say anyone language which can be used to create both the server and the client. Then just use preprocessor commands to build the server and client using the same source. Works the best. One reason why I use C++ for my larger engine.
Why not try a language designed specifically for network programming by smart people *for* smart people - Erlang?
Sockets in C++ (available on Windows and Unix/Linux) do have a learning curve, but work well.
Java isn't really the best language for anything, but then I'm biased because my job involves optomising java for size.
There is no "best" language, and I don't like threads that can turn into language wars.

If your chosen language has libraries and runtime that let you do what you need to do, and can be easily deployed to your customers/users, then your chosen language is good for what you want to do. It's that simple.

Btw: when I grew up in Sweden, the computer club people always moaned about maybe having to work for Ericsson (one of the bigger CS/EE employees there) and having to learn that non-standard "Erlang" language. That was 20+ years ago!
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };
Quote:Original post by CoffeeMug
Why not try a language designed specifically for network programming by smart people *for* smart people - Erlang?

Despite Erlang scaring the living crap out of me, I'll throw in another vote for it. Not only does it provide a very error-tolerant medium for writing a server with, it is possibly one of the best scaling systems ever considered. That said, reading the manual made me want to kill myself because it seemed to backward compared to the languages I'm used to dealing with.

"Erlang".

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement