Sign in to follow this  

Share Data between C++ and C# Processes

This topic is 3775 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi All, I have a C# Windows Application that is implemented in MS C# 2005, it launches a C++ Console Application that is implemented in MS Visual Studio 6 as a separate process. At run time, I need to have both applications communicate with each other. Basically, both applications need to keep updating the values of 6 common variables. What is the best way to implement this? Please provide links to good examples if possible. Thanks in advance.

The following are solutions that are available under *nix systems, though I am sure they either exist under Windows or have Windows equivalents:

-Use the shmget() system call to establish a shared piece of memory between separate processes. This system call is likely to exist under windows.

-Use a 'Unix' socket to talk between processes. A 'Unix' socked is just like a tcp/ip socket except it is used for communication on the local machine. This is available if you have access to a Berkley sockets implementation, check winsock (Windows Sockets) for a similar feature.

-The last and probably most elaborate idea is to use a database to share the data between the applications ... which I imagine is too much for your needs.

[Edited by - fpsgamer on August 10, 2007 10:00:01 PM]

I just remembered another method, and that is to use a Pipe.

However after some thought, considering one application is in C# and one in C++, using winsock to connect the apps is probably best.

This topic is 3775 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.