? about Data Structures

Started by
4 comments, last by bluefox25 16 years, 8 months ago
I am about to start a Data structures course in a few weeks (I think) and I just got back from vacation where I did not touch a computer while there. I am freaking out cause I think I've forgotten what I learned in my Intro class!! What would be the quickest way to refresh w/o going crazy? What topics will be covered do u guys think? I look at my code Ive written and it seems some what familar, is this normal? Next time I take a trip, I am gonna take my laptop!!!
Advertisement
Calm down.

Data structures are about theory, not about code. Yes, you'll probably have to write some code (as you'll likely have to implement some of the structures), but it shouldn't be too bad. The typical progression of a data structures course is quite gentle in terms of implementation difficulty.
What will be covered? Whatever was announced on the class's website or syllabus. It shouldn't be anything too complicated though. When I took Data Structures, it was a combined class with Algorithms so we started with all the various sorting algorithms (we did selection sort, insertion sort, merge sort, quicksort, and heapsort) and the Turing Machine, but in the Data Structures part it was just arrays, linked lists, binary trees, and AVL-trees. Occasionally our instructor would call on us to come to the blackboard and write some pseudocode, but that's about it.
Relax man, if you forgot how to code in two weaks time, then you couldn't code before. This means you have to learn :) In data structures you will have to operate on pointers and dynamic mem allocations, and this is the most difficult thing to get through for beginners in my opinion :) Read, read, code, code, and code and you will learn it, just relax :)
Quote:Original post by MSobiecki
In data structures you will have to operate on pointers and dynamic mem allocations, and this is the most difficult thing to get through for beginners in my opinion :) Read, read, code, code, and code and you will learn it, just relax :)

Well, that depends on how the class it taught, and what language was used. You really don't need pointers to do most memory structures in a lot of languages. And really you should be able to do almost any memory structure you learn in a class on them in any language you choose, and use the tools that come with that language to get the job done.

In short, don't worry about coding too much. Talk to your instructors and classmates about anything you might be having problems with. Data Structure classes really shouldn't be heavy on code, they are far more theory related.
Old Username: Talroth
If your signature on a web forum takes up more space than your average post, then you are doing things wrong.
It is for C++. I actually enjoyed the section on pointers and dynamic mem allocations(overloading constructors and deconstructors,etc). It took me a while to realize that you need to manually wipe free the allocated memory when overloading.
Hey, I still do remember some of it. My class ended in May and I took a 2 month vacation, so it is possible to forget some of the things in C++.

I am rereading my book and working on some examples. Maybe this time, things wil click even more like a fresh start kind of

I got a B+ in the class so thats not too bad in my Intro to C++ course.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement