Game Proramming Explanation needed

Started by
12 comments, last by memento_mori 16 years, 8 months ago
I've gone everywhere asking about what exactly does a game programmer do. Nobody answers me. I've been trying to study programming to program my own game but to even start I need an experienced persons explanation.
Advertisement
A game programmer writes source code in a programming language like C++, which is then compiled into code that the PC can understand (I.e. a .exe file). The For Beginners FAQ has a few links which should be relevant.
I have DarkBASIC Pro. Does anyone know if that would be good for a beginner like me? I use Maya and it comes with a programmer called Python. Would this programmer be better? No replies are required but would be helpful.

[EDIT] Thanks for the link
Quote:Original post by Infinity99
I have DarkBASIC Pro. Does anyone know if that would be good for a beginner like me? I use Maya and it comes with a programmer called Python. Would this programmer be better? No replies are required but would be helpful.
I've never used DarkBASIC, but I've heard it's good for beginners. Maya is modelling software which you can use to create assets for any games you create (Although I'm not sure how well DarkBASIC does 3D stuff).

As a sidenote:
A programmer is a person / job title ("I am a programmer")
A program is the software ("I wrote a program")
I've seen a sample that came with the software and I don't think I'm gonna keep it long. Do you know anything about Python? And how do the models, worlds and such get transfered into the program. Like, do you convert them, put the files into the text. I don't understand how that whole process is gonna work.

(I'm sorry if I'm a nag)
The concept of programming is, by using a programming language, you tell the computer what to do. The "compiler" is there to translate from a language that is understandable by people (programming languages like C++, Java, ..) to code that is understandable by the computer (for example an .exe file).

The files stay the same, most programming languages have commands for saying "read that file, and use it in this or that way".
You're probably better off doing some 2D games if you're not yet familiar with all this - they're easier to create, which ups the chances of finishing some games, which in turn is more encouraging than failing (although that can be very educative).

Anyway. Art assets, whether they're models, textures, sounds, levels or whatever else, must be loaded into memory by the game before they can be used. Don't put them inside the code: you'd have to rebuild the game every time you change a level or model. Instead, save assets as files, and let the game load them when it needs them.
I'd strongly recommend using existing libraries to do so: for Python, there's PyGame, a framework that allows you to handle input and load and display images and sounds (if I'm not mistaken). Give it a try, follow some tutorials, and I'm sure you'll get a better understanding of it eventually.

Just a tip beforehand: if you've got 100 enemies, load in their image just once, and display it a 100 times (at different locations). That's probably the most common misconception I've seen so far. Good luck! :)
Create-ivity - a game development blog Mouseover for more information.
Quote:Original post by Infinity99
I've seen a sample that came with the software and I don't think I'm gonna keep it long. Do you know anything about Python? And how do the models, worlds and such get transfered into the program. Like, do you convert them, put the files into the text. I don't understand how that whole process is gonna work.

Start here
Continue here

Once you have the tutorial covered, start thinking about the rest. Before you can write code by yourself you have no chance of understanding how to approach game development.

And anything 3D is very long way away.
Thanks for you help everyone. I'm not a complete "noob". I was just asking before I got too deep into it when I could have done something else. Know what I mean?
Hi bro! I am having a hard time getting on the field too! But well... I think I can advice you towards something I think is extremely nice...

C#/XNA. That is the stuff. Easy to get into and all... Plus tons of resources. I have no Python experience and DarkBASIC Pro isn't... My taste? BASIC means not so professional... :( I know, I know, but people! BASIC is no C++ equalevant.

XNA is the best suited for beginners, beginners that wants to create good stuff easy.

Let me recommend a course on C# and XNA, takes you from know nada to... Well... You will see the demos yourself of fellow students in the class :D. www.3dbuzz.com

Go for it!
Mossa TheGreat, Semi-Game Programmer, born in 1991, student.Hangs out mostly at www.3DBuzz.com. Good community for anything CG - Computer Graphics - related.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement