Sign in to follow this  
Drunken_Monkey

My car wheels are spinning out. OH NOES

http://img523.imageshack.us/img523/4733/odecar2jc2.jpg Check out my pimp-mobile. When it's at rest, everything is fine. But look what happens when I start rotating the tires: http://img523.imageshack.us/img523/2606/odecar1xs7.jpg They spin out. This code was written in ODE. The tires are attached to the body of the vehicle by a Hinge2 joint. Is there a better way to attach the wheels to the car? If not, what kind of technique can I use to stop the wheels from spinning out at the slightest push?

I've never actually used ODE (or even done car physics yet), but surely a ball and socket joint with no twist limit would make much more sense for attaching the wheels to the car body.

Regards,
ViLiO

Indeed a hinge is not the right joint for you. A hinge is the type of joint for a door. I'm not sure of the ODE joint types off the top of my head, but either a ball-in-socket that puts some force would work. Otherwise you should look for examples of ray-cast cars. They seem to be pretty popular.

A simple solution would be to manually set the rotation for both wheels each update since you'll have to set them anyways to allow steering.

Quote:
Original post by Drunken_Monkey
Just to be clear, I wasn't using the type of hinge you thinking about, NickGravelyn. It was this type of joint.

Anyway, thanks for the advice, I'll look into ray-cast cars and try to see if a ball and socket joint would work.

That's a sweet joint type.

My guess is that once your wheel starts turning, axis 1 starts spinning around too easily. Is there a way to perhaps set more resistance on that axis? Or perhaps a way to not allow that axis to rotate without user input? That would be a good method for controlling steering.

Anyway, hopefully you figure something out.