Sign in to follow this  

What's needed to make a basic DOS game?

This topic is 3774 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey there I'm a beginner programmer still learning some of the basics and although I'm still not yet prepared, I was wondering what it requires to make a basic text based walk through or click action game such as Oregon Trail, The Neverhood, Amazon trail, etc. I was thinking that Flash would be the best place to do it but I can't find enough sources that teach you the action script language. So far I've learned enough BlitzPlus language to make a line command game (simple input - output layout). What I'd like to do eventually is include images and a screen layout. What I mean by "click action" game is that all you really do is guide your character through a series of areas and obstacles by simply clicking on on object or area on the screen. So here's the question: Because Blitzplus offers a pretty weak game builder, what is another simple language to learn that will allow me to make these games and what program can I make them in? Visual Studio I'm assuming? Thanks!

It sounds like you want to write code rather than use a gamemaker? You mention Blitz and flash, but aren't really clear on which languages (if any) you currently know or are learning.

Maybe something like pygame would suit you? Its pretty easy to get something basic up and running in a very few lines of code, but its still very powerful. And there are tons of tutorials out there to help you get started.

I myself first started coding in a language called Inform. It's strict text based and has very limited file io operations. The compiler generates whats called Z-Code, so you need an interpreter to play the games you create. Its been a long while since I touched the stuff but as I remember it has support for a few more advanced (in the context of creating text based games) features such as classes with constructors/destructors etc. The language handles a lot for you, for example it has a special keyword for defining verbs and (together with a "standard library") it will process the input from the keyboard and take the correct action. You can however, if you want, read in one character at a time and do what you want with it. Im not sure about documentation..or if the language is dead and not used anymore, but I remember one book that should help you get started. It can be downloaded from the link bellow.

Wikipedia

Official Inform 6 Site

Im not sure how suitable this is, but it it got me started when I wasnt clever enough to get a free C compiler working ^^ (way back in the days btw)

Cheers
Thunder Sky

This topic is 3774 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.