Sign in to follow this  
c_anthony

Critique My Tetris Clone Graphics?

I've been learning C++ and decided that, for my first game, I'd make my own Tetris clone called Block Drop. (Creative name, isn't it? *chuckles*) I made four mockups (because the game isn't finished enough for screenshots) of what the game should look like when finished. Each one uses a different set of 'blocks' which you will be able to choose at the beginning of the game. Please take a look at my mockups and tell me what you think of the graphics. I know, it's a Tetris clone so they aren't anything you probably haven't seen before but I put quite a lot of work into getting them to look just right and would like to know what you all think of them.

I liked the fourth one -- the neon looking one. #1 is too bright, #2 is too dark, and #3 doesn't do anything for me.

Also, the contrast of the panel itself could do with some tweaking -- it's so bright, it might distract the player.

-- poss

I like 3rd ones coz they are out of BOX shape :P

well, why don't you switch between all these 4 when "Level" or "Speed" goes up/increase.

Just my opinion:

I really like the GUI!

Block-Colors:
#1: A little bit too bright, a bit less white would be better.
#2: A little bit too dark
#3: A little bit too dark. Maybe better with a brighter background.
#4: A little bit too bright too. Just imagine you have to look at a playscreen full of blocks in fullscreen mode.

Just to be clear, my tetris-clone blocks looked always worse than yours here ;)

The fourth set has more style than the others (their blocks and balls are plain shapes without outlines), but like others I think it it is too bright.
More precisely, there is too much white highlight compared to the important coloured border; maybe the highlight could be restricted to a corner (i.e. more 3D and less neon).

Why does the falling piece have 4 colours? is it meaningful or distracting?