Sign in to follow this  
elite22

Grapics Program

I'm working on a 2-d side scrolling shooter. My friend and I have come to a halt. We are unsure of what graphics to use. I think we will be running Llamaworks2-d for the game. What kind of program will work with this? Would ogre or is there something better? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

There are a couple of 2D specialized engines out there, some are quite simple and comfortable to work with, like HGE and some are somewhat advanced like ClanLib. Both HGE and ClanLib use 3D renderers to draw graphics using either Direct3D or OpenGL.
Your other option is to pick a 3D engine, and work on that, and there are alot of options too, check DevMaster Engines section for detailed information.

I advice you however, not to try to use Ogre to create a 2D side-scroller, Ogre does not have a friendly API and that is mainly because it's quite advanced and complex, and you will have to probably build a 2D engine above it which will not be an easy task...
By the way, I don't know what Llamaworks2-d is, I've never heard of it.

I hope I helped, :)
Goodluck with your project.

Thank you so much! This is just the info I needed. I will defiantly look at the ideas you posted. I am sorry about mentioning Llamaworks, come to think of it, it was written by an author for a book I have. So maybe I should not use that and find a different one. Anyway thanks again for all the help and I will make sure to keep you posted about my project!

Elite