Sign in to follow this  
AncientHunter

Naughts and Crosses- VB.NET

hey, i have a coding problem for the results of winning that is to stubborn to work! at the moment i have picture boxes for this two player game that show whether you have won, lost or drawn. the thing is its always draw until someone wins. i know what i have to do to get it right but its not working. pleaze help me.
Private Sub ResultWinner()
        Dim count As Integer
        If DetermineWinner() = 1 Then
            pic_DisplayResult2.Image = Image.FromFile(Application.StartupPath & "\Visual basic\You Win!.bmp")
            pic_DisplayResult.Image = Image.FromFile(Application.StartupPath & "\Visual basic\You Lose!.bmp")
            score1 += 100
            P1DisplayScore()
        ElseIf DetermineWinner() = 2 Then
            pic_DisplayResult.Image = Image.FromFile(Application.StartupPath & "\Visual basic\You Win!.bmp")
            pic_DisplayResult2.Image = Image.FromFile(Application.StartupPath & "\Visual basic\You Lose!.bmp")
            score2 += 100
            P2DisplayScore()
        Else
            For count = 1 To 9
                'arrPic(count) = nothing works everywhere else.  Why doesnt it work here?
                If arrPic(count) = Nothing Then
                Else
                    pic_DisplayResult.Image = Image.FromFile(Application.StartupPath & "\Visual basic\Draw.bmp")
                    pic_DisplayResult2.Image = Image.FromFile(Application.StartupPath & "\Visual basic\Draw.bmp")
                End If
            Next count

End If
    End Sub

the line it doesnt like in this code is "If arrPic(count) = Nothing Then". it comes up with an error message saying "Error 1 Operator '=' is not defined for types 'System.Windows.Forms.PictureBox' and 'System.Windows.Forms.PictureBox'."

I don't code in VB.NET, so this may not really be the correct solution.

Try doing
If arrPic(count) Is Nothing Then

Also, can you show me where/how you declare arrPic ?

EDIT:

Why not just do this?

For count = 1 To 9
'arrPic(count) = nothing works everywhere else. Why doesnt it work here?
If arrPic(count) IsNot Nothing Then
pic_DisplayResult.Image = Image.FromFile(Application.StartupPath & "\Visual basic\Draw.bmp")
pic_DisplayResult2.Image = Image.FromFile(Application.StartupPath & "\Visual basic\Draw.bmp")
End If
Next count

that takes away the squigly lines but it does the same thing when run. here is where i stated arrPic:

Private Sub Form1_Load(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load
SetControlArray()
End Sub

Private Sub SetControlArray()
arrPic(1) = PictureBox1
arrPic(2) = PictureBox2
arrPic(3) = PictureBox3
arrPic(4) = PictureBox4
arrPic(5) = PictureBox5
arrPic(6) = PictureBox6
arrPic(7) = PictureBox7
arrPic(8) = PictureBox8
arrPic(9) = PictureBox9
End Sub

when i run the program? well as soon as i make a move for either player the picturebox shows a picture saying "DRAW" until someone wins and it changes to "win" or "lose"

I don't remember how it works in VB.NET, but in VB6 you had to preface every object assignment with Set, so it would look like this:

Set objName = otherObjName

I seem to recall reading something about this being removed, though.

Maxamor is right about the comparison operator: you have to use "Is" or "IsNot" when comparing objects, not an equal sign. I don't think that's changed.

It would help if we could see your declaration of arrPic().

EDIT: Try specifying the specific member of each PictureBox. Instead of this:

arrPic(X) = PictureBoxX

... do this:

Set arrPic(X) = PictureBoxX.Image

... or whatever member of the PictureBox class contains the actual picture. (I haven't mussed much with VB.NET, and it's like 1:30 a.m., so I don't feel like firing up VS2005 right now.)

I'm also kind of wondering why you aren't using a PictureBox array, so you could just do this:

Dim n As Integer
For n = 1 to arrPic().UBound
arrPic(n) = PictureBox(n)
Next n

Replace .UBound with whatever VB.NET uses to return an array's upper index.

Blah, I really need to expand my knowledge of .NET.

to make sure no one is confused:

Private Sub ResultWinner()
' this sub is to sort out what happens when someone wins the game - naughts and crosses, tic tac toe or whatever you wana call it
Dim count As Integer
'this has results if player 1 wins
If DetermineWinner() = 1 Then
pic_DisplayResult2.Image = Image.FromFile(Application.StartupPath & "\Visual basic\You Win!.bmp")
pic_DisplayResult.Image = Image.FromFile(Application.StartupPath & "\Visual basic\You Lose!.bmp")
score1 += 100
P1DisplayScore()
'this has results if player 2 wins
ElseIf DetermineWinner() = 2 Then
pic_DisplayResult.Image = Image.FromFile(Application.StartupPath & "\Visual basic\You Win!.bmp")
pic_DisplayResult2.Image = Image.FromFile(Application.StartupPath & "\Visual basic\You Lose!.bmp")
score2 += 100
P2DisplayScore()
Else
For count = 1 To 9
'this is results if no one wins - therefor draw. but if you just start a game then no one has won have they? so whats happening(and hence my problem) is that the picture box is showing that there is a draw all through the game until someone wins.
If arrPic(count) IsNot Nothing Then
End If
Next count
End If
End Sub

also i didnt realise what time it is over there, only 4pm here. sorry.

hey everyone, ive figured it out.
it wasnt working because i stated if only one of the 9 squares had a cross or noughtin it then it would display "DRAW". ive now changed the code which works. here it is for anyone interested.

For count = 1 To 9
If arrPic(count).Image Is Nothing Then
EmptyBoxes += 1
End If
Next count

If EmptyBoxes = 0 Then
End If

thanks to those who tried to help me (im not mocking you).