Sign in to follow this  
danromeo

[.net] Help clear up a basic confusion re: C# variable declaration

Hey, thanks for reading this. Tell me if I'm wrong about this: DXCamera camera; creates a variable of class DXCamera but does not allocate any memory for DXCamera members. DXCamera camera2=new DXCamera(...initialize stuff); DOES allocate memory. SO it is my understanding (please tell me if I'm wrong) that DXCamera camera2=new DXCamera(...initialize stuff); DXCamera camera = camera2; creates a variable of DXCamera class, and then what we old C++ guys called a Pointer to that variable. Thus, any changes that occur to "camera2" will be reflected in "camera" because it simply points to "camera2"'s memory location. ??? But then, if I have DXCamera camera2=new DXCamera(...); DXCamera camera=new DXCamera(....); camera=camera2; shouldn't "camera" copy all of the members of camera2 and be its' own seperate entity? Because when I make changes to "camera2", the members of "camera" change too! Obviously I have some conceptual misunderstanding here, but the material that I've read seems to back up what I thought was correct, but obviously isn't! The only thing I can think of is that I didn't override the "=" operator for the DXCamera class. Can somebody help me straighten this out? THANKS.

Quote:
Original post by danromeo
DXCamera camera2=new DXCamera(...);
DXCamera camera=new DXCamera(....);
camera=camera2;

shouldn't "camera" copy all of the members of camera2 and be its' own seperate entity?

Because when I make changes to "camera2", the members of "camera" change too!

Unlike C++, there is no default copy constructor in C#. You have to manually create one.

DXCamera camera=new DXCamera(camera2);

However now anything that happens to camera2 will have no effect on camera. If you want to share data you could use statics or events.

Quote:

The only thing I can think of is that I didn't override the "=" operator for the DXCamera class.

I don't think you can override the = operator in C# since all classes are references and that could make it impossible to transfer references.

You answered your own question, really.

Up to this point you are good:
DXCamera camera=new DXCamera(....);

Now, here.. your essentially stomping whatever reference camera was pointing to with the camera2 reference. This isn't a 'copy' at all.
camera=camera2;

If you want to copy, use the copy constructor. Something like
DXCamera camera = new DXCamera(camera2);