Played out concepts, playa.

Started by
75 comments, last by Trapper Zoid 16 years, 7 months ago
I'd be interested in people listing game concepts that they feel are over-used. I'll start. - Zombies - WWII - Medieval Europe - The Chtulu Mythos - Rome - Galactic Empires - MMOGs where you fight people, trade things, make stuff, join guilds and have houses.
Advertisement
Cool thread! ummmmmmmmmm.... OH OH

Games where you have to use an obserd amount of stealth. When the alarm gets pulled... you die for some reason

EDIT: uhhh, maybe a better way to go is to have people list those things, or just things that are in games too much that people hate... I can't even think of any more themes. I think you got most of em.
---------------------------------------- There's a steering wheel in my pants and it's drivin me nuts
Orcs and Elves.

Seriously, let's move beyond Tolkien just a wee bit, please?

-Mark the Artist

Digital Art and Technical Design
Developer Journal

RTS - collect, build, fight
"Foolish mortal"
I've got balls of steel - Duke
Definitely agree on the ww2. Also have to add mutants to the list. Its one step less worse than zombies, but still always has that "We don't have an idea, lets just throw [insert overused monster] in and call it a day!" feeling to it.
Though not really a theme, I would have to include special powers or the light effects melee weapons cast like in Ninja Gaiden, Soul Calibur, Dynasty Warriors or Jade Empire. I wish for once we could just stick to reality. I mean sure its good to have it in some games, I just get sick of it once I start to see it in so many games.
Special Forces games, or games featuring special forces
RPGs where a young boy is the chosen hero to save the world from an evil empire
Community games too, you know which ones I mean, where the main features are "dressing your avatar and making friends in a virtual world".

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement