• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
rajesh_nest

OpenGL Motion Blur in D3D10

This topic is 4061 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Direct3D Experts, In OpenGL, Motion Blur is usually achieved using accumulation buffer technique(which is an Image space algorithm). But in D3D10 (in samples provided), it is done using geometric shader which is a new feature, not available in previous D3D versions. Now my question is, Is it possible to develop motion blur using pixel shaders. Please suggest as i am new to D3DX Thanks in advance Dr. Ramachandra Innanchaya.

Advertisement
I think it is posible with out using geomentry shaders ( I have seen it on d3d9 games, and d3d9 does not have geomentry shaders.)

Edit: Added info.
You may be interested in something like this Motion Blur.

But since you are using D3D10, I don't see why would you like to do this with out using geometry shaders, since you can be sure that the user had to support them any way.

I hope that helps :)

The MotionBlur10 sample using Geometry Shaders is just one of many ways of doing it, and to be honest I don't agree with it - nice trick but ultimately incorrect. My understanding of motion blur in a theoretical graphics (especially when considering photography) makes it an image-space/post-processing effect, not a geometry-space one.

You can use the identical accumulation buffer technique from OpenGL in D3D (any version - I first did this using D3D8) for a cheap and simple implementation. Using pixel shaders and the advanced features (such as MRT) in D3D10 you could probably make this effect as accurate and complicated as you want [grin]

hth
Jack

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!