Sign in to follow this  

A beginner who needs help

This topic is 3777 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Can anyone direct me to any decent tutorials, im looking to get into games development.Ive been instructed to download visual c++ 2005 edition which i have done. Ive also been told to look at a few books which i will do soon, and I have tried to read the tutorials on this site but i don't think they're are helping, can anybody else point me in the right direction.

www.gametutorials.com This site has fairly good tutorials, but now you must buy the CD (which still isn't that bad of a deal for what they cover). You'll go from simple 2D stuff to OpenGL, DirectX, etc.

www.codesampler.com Has good tutorials to get started on for OpenGL and DirectX, usually the same tutorial for both.

Otherwise, just check out google.

Well, first of all we need to know if you have any prior programming knowledge. If not, I wouldnt follow the above person's advice to try some OpenGL and DirectX tutorials. First pick a language you want to learn (in your case that is C++) and then get a book about the programming language, so not about graphics API's.

What I would suggest is to look around the old C++ Workshop here on gamedev if you really want to learn that language: C++ workshop

If you're new to the whole programming thing (and assuming it's the programming part that you want to get into) it would be better to push programming full-blown games out of your mind for a while. Start with the basics, and play with them until you're comfortable enough with it to tackle the big stuff. Otherwise you risk getting stuck on the stuff you should've learned before you started messing with opengl or directx (or ofcourse AI, sound processing, etc.).

My advice: start a simple, not too ambitious (game) project that you could make with basic programming stuff. Like a command-line based "solve this math problem" game or something equivalent. Use what you've read about, and read the stuff you need to complete the project.

This topic is 3777 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.