RTS management idea

Started by
8 comments, last by d000hg 16 years, 8 months ago
Hi, I was just thinking about a way to easy the burden of micro-management. Optional AI middle management (MM) I am going to give a few examples to get the idea across. Tiberium Wars: The game starts and the MM suggests building a structure. It does this by showing a pic of the building in the corner of the screen and fills the build area on the map. Options Yes/No/Wait/MoveBuilding(with cursor), the MM will then carry out the task. You loose a harvester- MM suggests building a harvester. It does this by displaying a harvester pic in the corner of your screen. Your commands - Wait/No/Yes. Many of your tanks are destroyed in battle- The MM suggests building more tanks and possible another harvester to cope with cost. Same options again. You have lots of money- MM suggests building towers and advanced structures. Other Options: Attack Strength in currency Defense Strength in currency % Of tanks/artillery/soldiers in attack/defense. Yes/Wait/No to action if no order given in X seconds. Right click anywhere on map: Options: Defend position -> Create outpost -> Create base MM: Use aircraft? Build more vehicles? Right click on base: List tick boxes for each type of building which this base should have. Right click on resource: Off-limits/Collect here/defend resource Special utilities ($$): Gather intel: The MM counts the number of enemy units and gives more advice. I think this is technically feasible as AI already does this as the enemy. You would of course be able to reduce/increase the MM help. This system would allow more focus on battle tactics with less button pressing and soldier queuing. Building bases can be very repetitive and lends itself to automation imo. All of the standard controls would still be available. What do you think? [Edited by - RivieraKid on August 12, 2007 9:09:35 AM]
Advertisement
So it basically plays the game for you without actually controlling it then?
I agree with deleter. That's making the player an almost useless element. Basicly, you're just serving as a puppet arm for the smart computer.

You could have a system that tells you when buildings are destroyed, but games for the most part already do that. And it could be a tool during tuturials, but most games do that as well.

EDIT: Can you even imagine how much people would gripe on multiplayer. It would be like the AWP equivalent in counter-strike.
---------------------------------------- There's a steering wheel in my pants and it's drivin me nuts
It's a great idea. I was under the impression that RTS were supposed to be about strategy, not about who can click/use hotkeys the fastest as it is in most games today. Part of strategy is knowing when to delegate tasks like that and when to do do them yourself. Things that help you focus on the game play and not on replacing lost units/buildings is a good thing.
I would agree with above, but then again what else does the player have to do during his down time. Stratagy (as sad as it is) takes up probably %10 of the gameplay in a typical RTS. Plus, one of the great things about an RTS is building a city from your own image, if the computer did it for you... where's the fun in that?
---------------------------------------- There's a steering wheel in my pants and it's drivin me nuts
Quote:Original post by TheKrust
I would agree with above, but then again what else does the player have to do during his down time. Stratagy (as sad as it is) takes up probably %10 of the gameplay in a typical RTS. Plus, one of the great things about an RTS is building a city from your own image, if the computer did it for you... where's the fun in that?

well it would give you a suggestion. Hotkey to the location, check it out, move it a bit, hit return then hotkey back to your last location. If you are more concerned with time you just hit YES and bob's your mothers brothers.

In the main menu you could have several different build strategies.

1.Barracks
Refinery
War factory

2.Refinery
War factory
Barracks

Then all your need do is select the number and away it goes.

Personally i'm tired of base building and unit crunching. I would much rather say to my base 'attack here' and it would behave as one automatic well oiled machine which is how commanders irl operate.

Another thread talks about supply lines and how they would make an already figity game more figity. There is no reason this can't be automated with a few key variables included.

With less micro-management comes more time to examine the battlefield to create the ultimate offensive appose to selecting all your tanks on the map and double clicking inside the enemy base.

Yes to bigger maps, longer battles and less micro management. Supreme Commander got 2 of these but it was still very fiddly (or so my friend tells me).
Stratagy (as sad as it is) takes up probably %10 of the gameplay in a typical RTS.
Why restrict yourself to building a typical RTS then? Just because it is so in most or all current games does not mean it must be so for all future ones, it's in challenging these basic elements of a genre that you're often able to come up with something interesting and different. There may well be a way to increase the amount of gameplay time spent on strategy, and there may or may not be a significant market for the type of gameplay that results.

- Jason Astle-Adams

Quote:Original post by Kazgoroth
Stratagy (as sad as it is) takes up probably %10 of the gameplay in a typical RTS.
Why restrict yourself to building a typical RTS then? Just because it is so in most or all current games does not mean it must be so for all future ones, it's in challenging these basic elements of a genre that you're often able to come up with something interesting and different. There may well be a way to increase the amount of gameplay time spent on strategy, and there may or may not be a significant market for the type of gameplay that results.

I believe that there is a market and that is with console games. Almost all console RTS games to date have not been very big success stories. Thus an automated system with controls that allow you to focus on strategy rather than resource management and tech trees would be very beneficial for a console RTS.

What would be an interesting sell would be a Networked Co-op RTS where one player would be responsible for

-resource management
-building
-governing (just a thought)
-recruitment of troops (building units)
-supply lines
-tech trees

while the other player or partner in this sense would be responsible for

-war strategies
-moving troops
-attacking
-capturing enemy tech
-spying
-raiding
-occupying enemy territory

and they both could possibly have a hand in diplomacy.

You of course would want to consider building in a single player and campaign modes. But if you just want to test the concept and see how people take to it then its definitely doable.

Some of the elements I am mentioning are a bit on the simulation or (Civilization) side but hell I like Civilization.
I've had this running before on one of those major RTS projects. It played really nice. Was just more feature than we could support at release (need art & hud assets).

It's really easy actually. Modern RTS games already have 100% of that logic implemented for the AI opponents. All you need to do is attach an AI brain to the player's faction as well and just gate it's actions through the player and/or turn off various components.

It was cool actually to have all those components be user toggle-able. So you could have the AI do all or some of your economy, base building, unit production, super-weapons, etc.

I figured it'd be a nice feature for nubs to help them compete against good players. Could be a different handi-cap system. I'll use AI for base building and economy, against you who has no AI assistance. Generally the AI can manage money better than a player, it's just not as good tactically.

-me
I've planned to have something along those lines in my RTS, if I ever finish it, although not quite the same. But being aided by AI seems a cool idea, as long as there is enough left for you to do. For instance you could manage far more troops on several fronts. Just taking an existing RTS and adding this would make it a little dull IMO.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement