How I can have UI Controls for game engine ?

Started by
4 comments, last by Lord Caius 16 years, 8 months ago
Hi, I am making a game engine, which covers video, sounds, physics etc. I am using DX9 for all that stuff. Now I need to make UI or GUI part of it. Controls like: Button, Slider, Editbox, Checkbox, Radio button and other common controls, I wish to make. I need to have their custom look (programmer/artist should be able to change look as per textures they provide). What should I do for this? I have a little idea about sub-classing controls, is that work in DirectX mode? .. maybe I need to create controls on my own? or some library available of it? I wish I could change the look of controls (of windows and use thhem in engine)? any Suggestions/Guidance? [Edited by - DLight on August 12, 2007 1:26:59 PM]
Advertisement
have a look at CEGUI
hmm.. CEGUI seems good. Any other options?
If you're using MDX (and in the future SlimDX), you could take a look at my own library (link in signature). It doesn't use textured control (so you don't have to paint your own) but creates controls by computing their shapes using vertices. Skinning will be introduced in the next version.
--Avengers UTD Chronicles - My game development blog
I am not using MDX..
however, thanks for the link, i am taking a look at it.
Im still looking for any other options?
I don't see why you can't sub-class controls.

If you're not using .NET, it'll be a little more tricky, though.

But pretty much extend MFC UI components and override their repaint logic to draw (via DX) your textures.

If that's not possible, I apologize for misleading you - but it seems like a simple, workable solution. It would let you capture events and all the rest of that without having to code that yourself.

Of course, there's always the SDK UI sample. Haven't done too much with that, but it should also suit your task just fine - extend those classes and you'll have pretty much every common control you need.
-------------Some hate God for putting thorns on roses, others praise God for putting roses on thorns.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement