Basic skills for a side scroller?

Started by
2 comments, last by alnite 16 years, 8 months ago
Hi there! My short term goal is to create some kind of side scroller game in Python using Pygame. I wonder what basic skills are needed before atempting this task. What kind of programming knowledge/understanding do I need? How can I practise these techniques? Thank you!
Advertisement
Obviously you need to understand the Python language. Pygame is a Python library, is that right? than you need to know Pygame.

Then you need to be able to describe your functionality using these tools. You need to be able to express the objects in your game using data structures that you can implement. Essentially the way to write any sort of program is to be able to describe the problem in terms of the programming resources that you have available.

Break-down your game in to different aspects and attempt to create these in small steps. For example, if you want to create a map of tiles, first you have to be able to load a tile and then show it on the screen. Then you can figure-out how to show multiple tiles. You don't necessarily have to know everything you are going to do before you start, but it helps to write organized code if you do. In this regard you can prototype things before adding them.

There's a broad answer for your broad question.
I have some advice. Actually, general advice in programming.

You can't do something unless you understand how it works. Before you make a sidescrolling shooter (or shmup (shoot 'em up) for short), why don't you just try making a game where you fly a ship around the screen. Try making a graphics program where the background moves and have different layers moving at different paces. Then incorporate the two together.

Basically I just said what the guy above me said, but the general idea that I'm trying to get across is, don't make one big project. Make several small projects and incorporate them into the big one. When you understand how the big project works, you can make the big project. Until then, make smaller incremental ones.
Quote:Original post by Zyndrof
My short term goal is to create some kind of side scroller game in Python using Pygame. I wonder what basic skills are needed before atempting this task. What kind of programming knowledge/understanding do I need?

Obviously the API and programming language you are using. The more you know the better.

Quote:
How can I practise these techniques?

Make something smaller. Get yourself comfortable with the idea.

Quote:
Thank you!

Your welcome.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement