Sign in to follow this  

Will this work? With directx.

This topic is 3775 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have Directx august 2006 and currently I'm starting programming with it (C++). I picked up a book on Directx that says the code should work for future versions(2 dollars at Barnes and noble used) and I'm wondering if that is so. I'm currently working with DX9 and it talks about DX8, will the code work unchanged or what do I have to do to change it? Will it be hard to change it? Should I find another book on Directx but more recent?(If so what do you recomend). Thanks a lot Argos.

You wont have to do anything. All versions of DirectX are backwards compatible with every version that came before it. For example DirectX9 will support software that targeted any versions of DirectX up to version 9.

It will become clear to you how they do this once you start delving into the API. In fact a good DirectX book should explain how this is achieved.

[edit]

I should note that even though an application that targeted DirectX8 will work under DirectX9, you won't have any access to any DirectX9 features.

DirectX8 and DirectX9 differ widely. It will take quite some work to modify a program from version 8 to 9.

Ok sounds good, (the 2 dollar book is with dx7 (Sorry typo) so I think I should just go with another book on learning directx.
The only problem is when I search I see books that sound a little advance (Multiplayer fps in Directx) and others are a bit dated. Any advice on one written semi recently?
Thanks a lot again
Argos.

Take a look at this one. I haven't read it, but judging from the articles on that site (by the same author), the source code (available on the site), and the reviews on amazon, it seems to be very good. Note though that it only covers the Direct3D portion of DirectX.

This topic is 3775 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.