Sign in to follow this  
sjmarsha

BSP Trees

Hi All I am about to start my collision detection algorithm. My maps are just text files of vertex coords, and texture coords. Just wondering how BSP can be used, with this sort of setup. I have looked over the basic theory, and this seems fine, but not sure how I can apply it to my situation. Someone got any good advice for me? regards Steve

Quote:
Original post by sjmarsha
Hi All

I am about to start my collision detection algorithm.

My maps are just text files of vertex coords, and texture coords.
Just wondering how BSP can be used, with this sort of setup.

I have looked over the basic theory, and this seems fine, but not sure how I can apply it to my situation.

Someone got any good advice for me?

regards
Steve

Anyways ... You may be able to use BSP trees in your situation.

The BSP tree will prevent you from having to do collision detection between every pair of objects in your scene.

The idea is that you can use the BSP tree to quickly identify objects that lie in the same region within your space partition, then compute collisions with objects in that region.

The advantage is that you vastly reduce the number of objects you have to check for collision against.

The only drawback is that the items you are checking for collision against have to be static (non-moving between frames). So for example: A scene that consists of a moving ball in a static maze would be a good situation to use a BSP tree. For every frame you would use the BSP tree to identify which walls to check for collision with the ball.

[Edited by - Promit on August 12, 2007 9:31:03 PM]