Sign in to follow this  
Goguis

PDA Development Alternatives...

Wich are they? For instance, Pokect PC has C++, Visual Basica and i don't know what else. In this case, Palm, which are they? Thanks

Technically you can use anything you can find an ARMV4 compiler for [smile] There are of course more practical limitations, like have support libraries such as the Windows Mobile SDK. For Pocket PC you should be able to use any .NET language that doesn't require features from the full .NET framework (for example IronPython is dependant upon some classes not available in the Compact Framework). Visual Studio 2005 specifically supports C# and VB for Pocket PC but I expect there will be other languages that can be used. One notable language which can't be used with the Compact Framework is C++ (which would have been quite useful for me).

For native development (ie. compiling directly to the CPUs instruction set instead of an intermediate instruction set like with .NET), you'll probably have great difficulty using anything other than C++ (or assembly, if you really need it). Don't know about Palm devices.

What kind of alternatives are you looking for?

Quote:
Wich are they? For instance, Pokect PC has C++, Visual Basica and i don't know what else.

In this case, Palm, which are they?

There are many programming languages available on Microsoft's PocketPC/Windows Mobile, although most apps are a combination of C++, C#, and VB. To a lesser extent, there are also many c apps. There are other tools such as Sybase PowerBuilder for Pocket PC, and VMs like Waba and SuperWaba. There are also Java virtual machines for the platform (most are non-free). Additionally, you can use any other language out there which compiles to .net IL as long as it limits itself to the functions included in the .net compact framework. There are a growing number of compilers capable of doing this.

For Palm, you can also develop with C and C++. There are gcc toolchains which support any of the gcc front-end languages, (C, C++, Java, Ada, Objective-C, Objective-C++, and Fortran). There are Java virtual machines and a growing number of devices have hardware support for running midlets. There are many great compilers and debuggers out there for the platform. I prefer Freescale's CodeWarrior for PalmOS, but everyone has their own preference.

Are these the kinds of "alternatives" you were searching for?

AFAIK

Palm OS :Codewarrior mainly or you can start from scratch, and use prc tools.

Windows-CE/Smartphone :Visual Studio Embedded (free), Visual Studio .net 2003 or 2005 (not express) for wm2002 with compact framework, wm2003 or higher.

Cellphone :j2me, netbeans or eclipse (and some "recent" palm support j2me).

Cellphone with Symbian :C++, Visual Studio, Code Warrior or Carbide-a-eclipse-rip-off (Nokia).

Anyways palm OS is way the more hard to work, almost all the job is to compress, minimize the use of memory and resources, heap and stack are ultra-limited. And the more easy to program is j2me cause there are plenty of libraries, samples and such and for games you can use MIDP2.

personally for palm development the only environment I really got used to was plua, which was kind of nice as it had both a prc compiler as well as the ability to be programmed straight from the palm, which was good when doing quick code demos to people.