Sign in to follow this  
Woad

C++ Allegro Problem

I just started using Allegro and i ran into a problem. I'm using VS C++ Express. Sorry I don't see any tag helper. Here's the code:
#include <allegro.h>
#include <string>
#include <sstream>

BITMAP *AnimationSpr;
using namespace std;

int main(){

int i = 1;
	string str;
	stringstream out;
	out << i;
	str = out.str();

allegro_init();
    install_keyboard();
    set_color_depth(16);
    set_gfx_mode( GFX_AUTODETECT_WINDOWED, 640, 480, 0, 0);

AnimationSpr = load_bitmap( "animation" + str + ".bmp", NULL);

acquire_screen();

draw_sprite( screen, AnimationSpr, 320-32, 240-32);

release_screen();

readkey();

return 0;

}   
END_OF_MAIN();
I get the errors/warnings. [size=7]c:\program files\microsoft visual studio 8\vc\include\allegro\internal\alconfig.h(397) : warning C4312: 'type cast' : conversion from 'unsigned int' to 'unsigned char *' of greater size c:\program files\microsoft visual studio 8\vc\include\allegro\internal\alconfig.h(404) : warning C4312: 'type cast' : conversion from 'unsigned int' to 'unsigned char *' of greater size c:\program files\microsoft visual studio 8\vc\include\allegro\inline\draw.inl(421) : warning C4312: 'type cast' : conversion from 'unsigned int' to 'unsigned char *' of greater size c:\program files\microsoft visual studio 8\vc\include\allegro\inline\draw.inl(435) : warning C4312: 'type cast' : conversion from 'unsigned int' to 'unsigned char *' of greater size c:\program files\microsoft visual studio 8\vc\include\allegro\inline\draw.inl(446) : warning C4312: 'type cast' : conversion from 'unsigned int' to 'unsigned short *' of greater size c:\program files\microsoft visual studio 8\vc\include\allegro\inline\draw.inl(460) : warning C4312: 'type cast' : conversion from 'unsigned int' to 'unsigned short *' of greater size c:\program files\microsoft visual studio 8\vc\include\allegro\inline\draw.inl(471) : warning C4312: 'type cast' : conversion from 'unsigned int' to 'unsigned short *' of greater size c:\program files\microsoft visual studio 8\vc\include\allegro\inline\draw.inl(485) : warning C4312: 'type cast' : conversion from 'unsigned int' to 'unsigned short *' of greater size c:\program files\microsoft visual studio 8\vc\include\allegro\inline\draw.inl(521) : warning C4312: 'type cast' : conversion from 'unsigned int' to 'unsigned int *' of greater size c:\program files\microsoft visual studio 8\vc\include\allegro\inline\draw.inl(535) : warning C4312: 'type cast' : conversion from 'unsigned int' to 'unsigned int *' of greater size c:\documents and settings\woadraiders\my documents\allegrotest\allegrotest\main.cpp(22) : error C2664: 'load_bitmap' : cannot convert parameter 1 from 'std::basic_string<_Elem,_Traits,_Ax>' to 'const char *' with [ _Elem=char, _Traits=std::char_traits<char>, _Ax=std::allocator<char> ] No user-defined-conversion operator available that can perform this conversion, or the operator cannot be called[/size]

string str;
str = out.str();
AnimationSpr = load_bitmap( "animation" + str + ".bmp", NULL);

The problem is that you're passing a std::string as the first argument to load_bitmap() when the first argument should be of type char*.

Do this instead:

stringstream out;
out << "animation" << i << ".bmp";
AnimationSpr = load_bitmap( out.str().c_str(), NULL);

The first thing you'll notice is that you don't really need the string object.
(In fact, I am not totally sure that operator + is defined with a left hand operand of type char* and a right hand operand of std::string as you had it in your original code, but I could be wrong).

out.str() returns a std::string object that contains the contents of your stringstream. Calling c_str() on the std::string() that was returned retuns the contents of the string as type char*

The warnings on the other hand are a different issue.