Engine Documentation

Started by
4 comments, last by Ravuya 16 years, 8 months ago
hello, I am looking at making a documentation online for my engine. I was looking at : http://www.openscenegraph.org/documentation/OpenSceneGraphReferenceDocs/a02204.html well it seems like it is generated from the engine header files, the site cannotbe manually filled. I want to do something like that. Anyone has an idea on how it is possible? thanks.
Advertisement
I think you should try out Doxygen.
From the footer:
Quote:Generated at Fri Jun 15 16:28:19 2007 for the OpenSceneGraph by doxygen 1.4.4.

As for if it's a good idea or not to clutter code with documentation like that, opinions differ.
My opinion is that some brief source level annotation is ok, but that there also should be some real documentation.

To make it is hell. To fail is divine.

Check out natural docs too, it's less cluttering than doxygen imo, but not as fully featured.
Personally I like using Doxygen, it took me about 30 minutes to get my head around how to generates the documentation and which tags to use. It should go hand in hand with an overview/architecture document so people new to your system understand how everything works altogether at a high level. Yes it does make your code cluttered, but personally I love having my documentation stored in the source files; I'm more likely to update them if they are just a few lines a above the code I'm updating - using out of date documentation can really through you.
Quote:Original post by DeadXorAlive
Check out natural docs too, it's less cluttering than doxygen imo, but not as fully featured.
You can change out the Doxygen CSS and a bunch of other stuff, IIRC.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement