Book suggestion

Started by
6 comments, last by hellraiser 16 years, 8 months ago
I think I may be having some cash soon which I would like to spend on a book covering the subject of 3d game engine design. Ideally this book should use OpenGL. I didn't find GameDev's book reviews section particularly useful as most of the listings are quite outdated. So I thought I'd ask you guys for help. I have found the following two books: Ultimate Engine Design&Architecture by Allen Sherrod (unknown graphics API used; but I'm guessing it's DX) 3D Game Engine Programming by Oliver Duvel (uses DX only examples) Anyone has any suggestions/recommendations?
Advertisement
Well, it's been years since I ordered a book. Used to love 3d engine coding and whatnot, but have spent a lot of time doing neurofeedback research and other non-game-like software design =*( Anyhow, now in my personal time I'm working on a dynamic music system, and I am hoping to get back into some basic 3d engine stuff, since engine architecture has changed so drastically since 10 years ago. I read reviews on a crap load of books and it seems to me that the book "Beginning OpenGL Game Programming" is the best place to start. I just ordered it yesterday.

Cheers
-Scott
I suggest Frank Luna's book "Introduction to 3D Game Programming with DirectX 9.0c: A Shader Approach". Its well written and organized for beginner game programmers.
"A human being is a part of a whole, called by us,universe, a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings as something separated from the rest... a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest to us. Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty."A. Einstein
Quote:Original post by popsoftheyear
Well, it's been years since I ordered a book. Used to love 3d engine coding and whatnot, but have spent a lot of time doing neurofeedback research and other non-game-like software design =*( Anyhow, now in my personal time I'm working on a dynamic music system, and I am hoping to get back into some basic 3d engine stuff, since engine architecture has changed so drastically since 10 years ago. I read reviews on a crap load of books and it seems to me that the book "Beginning OpenGL Game Programming" is the best place to start. I just ordered it yesterday.

Cheers
-Scott

I already have OpenGL Programming Guide 5th Ed., which is about to become outdated anyway with the upcoming release of OpenGL 3 (formerly named Longs Peak.)

I was more looking for a book that focuses on the actual 3d engine design and architecture having OpenGL as its basis. DX is fine too, as I'm only looking for the theoretical aspects involving the subject.

Thanks for your reply though.

EDIT:
Quote:Original post by Great_White
I suggest Frank Luna's book "Introduction to 3D Game Programming with DirectX 9.0c: A Shader Approach". Its well written and organized for beginner game programmers.

The book definitely looks interesting, but it seems a bit too DirectX specific and very much focused on programming shaders.

Trouble is, I don't have much money right now so I gotta invest the little money I do have on the right book that suits my needs.
I would suggest eBooks, they're much cheaper and are much easier to handle than paperbacks. Most gamedev books contain code implementation which is hard to to read on the go without actually applying the code as you go. And you can search them too [smile]

You didn't come into this world. You came out of it, like a wave from the ocean. You are not a stranger here. -Alan Watts

Thanks everybody for your comments.

I've decided to buy 3D Game Engine Design: A Practical Approach to Real-Time Computer Graphics by David H. Eberly, as he seems to cover the subject in (proper) depth. The table of contents of the book can be found here; click on it and you'll see what I mean... the TOC alone will surely blow your mind away. :)

Again, thanks everybody.
If you're interested, here's a sample chapter from that book (just the first one, but it should give you a feel for the book's writing style).

Another book to consider is 3D Game Engine Architecture by the same author. The book you chose is probably preferable (by the comments here and even by the author's opinion here), but here's a sample chapter just to check it out (this one is actually one of the core chapters in the book).
Quote:Original post by Gage64
If you're interested, here's a sample chapter from that book (just the first one, but it should give you a feel for the book's writing style).

Another book to consider is 3D Game Engine Architecture by the same author. The book you chose is probably preferable (by the comments here and even by the author's opinion here), but here's a sample chapter just to check it out (this one is actually one of the core chapters in the book).

From what I've read (reviews, user comments, etc) across the net, the 3D Game Engine Architecture book doesn't really suit my needs as it is more of a walk-through on how to build the WildMagic 3d game engine (developed by the same author, source found here). While the book does seem to give a theoretical overview on the different design choices the author makes as he introduces more and more components to the engine, it doesn't really cover the hard-core aspects of designing a 3D game engine as the other book does.

I'm not really interested in having a ready-made, fully working, 3d engine that I can use, for if that was the case I would be using now Ogre or Irrlicht. I want to learn the intrinsics of a 3d game engine and my experience tells me that the best way to do it is by building one myself... after studying the subject very well, that is. :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement