Sign in to follow this  

im new to development!

This topic is 3776 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

hello everybody i only have very basic knowledge about development and im asking where to start... ive downloaded a few engines but im not sure what to do and how to do it...

It all depends on what language you like. Me personally I like Java though most people will probably tell you to look for C++ tutorials.

Anyways one of the stickied threads on this forum has all the links to sites with helpful tutorials

Best of luck to ya

I'm assuming STO is Star Trek Online. I'm unfamiliar with SQO, but I'm assuming it is also an MMO.

First, questions regarding MMOs will generally get you laughed off of the face of the earth. Maybe a little harsh, but that's the reality. MMOs are HUGE investments of time and money and require large teams.

Second, since you don't know ANYTHING (again I'm assuming), you might not even be able to create Pong. Tough but true.

Start with something easy. If you make it through that, try something harder.

Game development (and programming in general) is not for everyone.

i mean some free ones like celstart and 3d rad. i didnt say it needed to be a mmo just a multiplayer game or heck even single player. if anyone will help me start a project it would be nice...

First question to get you on the right track is: Do you want to be a programmer?

If so, start by learning a language (most people recommend Python these days)

If not, grab a mod-able engine from whatever genre you are interested in developing for.

But first, read the Forum FAQ

-me

Quote:
Original post by pjwaffle
i mean some free ones like celstart and 3d rad. i didnt say it needed to be a mmo just a multiplayer game or heck even single player. if anyone will help me start a project it would be nice...

You need to learn to program first. It may take quite a while before you can write any useful programs though. I believe CELstart uses Python, which is a good programming language to start with. Here are some Python-related links that may be helpful.

Considering you don't even have any programming experience, you don't want a game engine. You'd probably get lost and totally confused. Like I said, your first game won't even be graphical. Back to the days of text games. That's where you should start. Of course, I've already said that, and now I'm just repeating myself. But apparently you didn't understand that even pong is too difficult if you have ZERO experience.

If you can't make Hello World, you can't make a game...I hope. ><

A game engine is a programmer's tool. It's not something a non-programmer, or even a neophyte programmer, should be concerned with. Your first task is to consider the following:

There are two ways for you to make games. First, you learn to program. Second, you use a "game construction tool." The first option will take longer, and be more difficult overall -- especially since it will be a while before you will see pretty looking games like what you're likely daydreaming about. Your first few programs won't even be games, they'll be simply little textual input-and-output type things. The first true game you're likely to create like this will be a simple guess-the-number game, then perhaps tic-tac-toe or hangman.

This sounds daunting, I admit. But the advantage with learning to program is that you are limited, in the long run, only by your own ability and resources. This is a bit of a generalization, of course -- still doesn't mean you're going to be able to crank out a WoW clone on your own, for example, but it does mean you will have a lot more capability to produce what you imagine than you would going down the second path.

The second path -- using a tool -- is pretty much the opposite. It's much easier to get started and will produce results you're probably imagining much quicker. The problem here is that you will be using somebody else's tool -- either something like Game Maker, RPG Maker, or 3D Game Studio -- or modding an existing engine (HL2, Quake, NWN). Ultimately you will be limited by the design and capabilities of whatever tool you choose -- it will be impractical, for example, to create a FPS game using RPG Maker, which is tailored towards RPGs, as you might expect.

So first you need to decide which path you're going to persue. Both are equally valid options; the driving force behind the decision for many people is how much up-front investment they are willing to put in the task.

If you elect to choose to learn to program, I recommend you learn C# or Python. Do not learn C++, as it is a very poor first language for a new programmer; it is rife with idiosyncrasies, legacy mechanisms, and illusions of "control." It's also far too low-level to be optimal for applications (game) programming, and will extend the overall length of time you spend working towards even the simplest of graphical games.

Generally speaking, someone won't spend the time and effort to "teach" you how to program. Pointing you to resources is different, though. I've already pointed you to one in a previous post. I'm sure others will chime in.

You don't need money. Visual C# Express is freely available from Microsoft, and Microsoft additionally has a number of "learning C#" resources available from their website. Google is also useful, as is the C# Workshop currently active on these forums.

If you have specific questions along the way, you can always return here and post a new thread about your problem. Just make sure you've tried to solve the problem yourself first (at the very least, try Google).

A short list, offhand: GameMaker, 3D Game Studio, Multimedia Fusion, RPG Maker XP, DarkBasic, BlitzBasic, Flash. Some of these (for example Dark and Blitz Basic) fall into a middle ground that is some combination of toll-oriented and programming-oriented that may be more appealing to you -- the *Basic options in particular are more programming and less tool. Others, like RPG Maker, can be used almost entirely without programming beyond simple event scripting.

There's also, again, the option of modding engines. Half-Life 2, Quake, Neverwinter Nights, and so on are often good candidates for this approach. The difficulty involved in creating mods for these games varies widely.

This topic is 3776 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.