im new to development!

Started by
22 comments, last by pjwaffle 16 years, 8 months ago
hello everybody i only have very basic knowledge about development and im asking where to start... ive downloaded a few engines but im not sure what to do and how to do it...
Advertisement
It all depends on what language you like. Me personally I like Java though most people will probably tell you to look for C++ tutorials.

Anyways one of the stickied threads on this forum has all the links to sites with helpful tutorials

Best of luck to ya
i dunno what i prefer yet anything that allows me to make a game similar to STO and SQO

BTW thanks for the extremely quick reply!
Do not expect to make an MMO as your first game. I refer you to the Forum FAQ for more information about starting out.

Also, what did you mean when you said you "downloaded a few engines?"
I'm assuming STO is Star Trek Online. I'm unfamiliar with SQO, but I'm assuming it is also an MMO.

First, questions regarding MMOs will generally get you laughed off of the face of the earth. Maybe a little harsh, but that's the reality. MMOs are HUGE investments of time and money and require large teams.

Second, since you don't know ANYTHING (again I'm assuming), you might not even be able to create Pong. Tough but true.

Start with something easy. If you make it through that, try something harder.

Game development (and programming in general) is not for everyone.
http://neolithic.exofire.net
i mean some free ones like celstart and 3d rad. i didnt say it needed to be a mmo just a multiplayer game or heck even single player. if anyone will help me start a project it would be nice...
First question to get you on the right track is: Do you want to be a programmer?

If so, start by learning a language (most people recommend Python these days)

If not, grab a mod-able engine from whatever genre you are interested in developing for.

But first, read the Forum FAQ

-me
Quote:Original post by pjwaffle
i mean some free ones like celstart and 3d rad. i didnt say it needed to be a mmo just a multiplayer game or heck even single player. if anyone will help me start a project it would be nice...

You need to learn to program first. It may take quite a while before you can write any useful programs though. I believe CELstart uses Python, which is a good programming language to start with. Here are some Python-related links that may be helpful.
Well, you said STO or SQO as your only examples, both of which are MMOs. Also, your first game likely won't even be graphical. Hearken back to the olden days of of text RPGs and the like.

If you're interested in a specific language, my personal recommendation is C#.

Video Tutorials on C#
http://neolithic.exofire.net
ok ill do c++.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement