Sign in to follow this  
Andrew Kabakwu

OpenGL Strange opengl behaviour

Hi, I've never seen this problem before. Am developing a win32 opengl program and have set the polygon rendering mode as follows
glPolygonMode(GL_FRONT_AND_BACK,GL_LINE);

When I render OpenGL primitives in the following order
     glBegin(GL_POINTS)

glEnd()

//rectangle B
    glBegin(GL_QUADS);
       glColor3f(0.0f,1.0f,0.0f);
       glVertex3f(b[0][0],b[0][1],b[0][2]);
       glVertex3f(b[1][0],b[1][1],b[1][2]);
       glVertex3f(b[2][0],b[2][1],b[2][2]);
       glVertex3f(b[3][0],b[3][1],b[3][2]);
    glEnd();

//triangle A				
   glBegin(GL_TRIANGLES);
     glColor3f(1.0f,0.0f,0.0f);
     glVertex3f(a[0][0],a[0][1],a[0][2]);
     glVertex3f(a[1][0],a[1][1],a[1][2]);
     glVertex3f(a[2][0],a[2][1],a[2][2]);
   glEnd();

//Swept shape c
   glColor3f(0.0f,0.0f,1.0f);

glBegin(GL_POINTS);
	for (int i=0; i<(num_a * num_b); i++)
	{
	   if(c[i][0] != 0.0 || c[i][1] != 0.0 || c[i][2] != 0.0)
	   {
		glVertex3f(c[i][0], c[i][1], c[i][2]);
	   }
	}
   glEnd();

The first set of GL_POINTS renders properly. Then the Rectangle using GL_QUADS also renders as a wire frame as expected and the last set of points also renders as expected. Now comes the problem. The triangle using GL_TRIANGLES renders as a SOLID FILLED triangle and not as a wire frame. I've moved the triangle up before the rectangle and in that case it is the Rectangle that renders as a SOLID polygon. I've determined that doing in a single frame a render order of GL_POINTS,GL_TRIANGLES,GL_QUADS and then back to GL_POINTS causes the GL_QUADS to be filled. (This also happens when its GL_POINTS,GL_QUADS,GL_TRIANGLES and back to GL_POINTS the GL_TRIANGLE becomes filled) Am not changing the polygon fill mode at all. Could anyone explain how this can be happening? PS: If I group the GL_POINTS render in a single batch at the top or bottom (i.e eliminating the 2nd call to GL_POINTS in a single frame) this problem does NOT OCCUR! [Edited by - Andrew Kabakwu on August 13, 2007 12:45:33 PM]

I've included a link to where you can download the program source am referring to.

(Note: this program is suppose to perform the Minkowski Sum (difference) which is what the calculate_points_c function does and is not relevant to the OpenGL problem)

It is just as I explained in the first post, when you run it you will see a wire frame rectangle and a white center point for the (0,0) origin.

The triangle is rendered as a solid instead of a wire frame, which is wrong according to the settings I've used.

If you follow the comments in the RenderScene() function above the 2 glBegin(GL_POINTS) blocks, then you'll see the behaviour change.

Win32 Source to Strange OpenGL behaviour

Hi!

As for me it looks that everyting is ok. Here is the screenshot I got after running the app

screenshot

Quad and triangle are rendered in wire mode.

EDIT: screen shot fixed

I have tried your code, and I do get the strange behaviour aswell. I have an ATI card with not so recent drivers, and I could try it at home with an NVIDIA card aswell.

I have tried several combinations or drawing order and numbers of primitives to draw, and it's always the last batch before a GL_POINT batch that is incorrectly filled. A following GL_LINES batch is OK, but not GL_POINTS.

For example, if you have a sequence of point - triangle - point batches, the triangle batch is filled. Point - triangle A - triangle B - point, then A is lined and B filled (if a triangle batch contains multiple triangles, they are alled rendered the same; lined or filled). Point - triangle A - triangle B - point - triangle C - triangle D - point, then A and C are correct, and B and D are incorrect. However, if a flush is forced (glFlush) just after a triangle batch, it is always rendered correct.

Definitely looks like a driver bug to me. Seems like they render points using triangle primitives, and in order to get a filled point the fill mode must be temporarily restored to fill mode. However, it looks like they insert the fill mode command a batch too early into the command buffer.

My video card is an ATI Radeon (according to windows its an x1300PRO)

so I went and got the latest drivers for ATI X1300 series, installed it and the problem went away.

(Also windows now identifies my video card as an ATI x1550 series. )

Thanks for all the responses

[Edited by - Andrew Kabakwu on August 14, 2007 12:53:04 PM]